Game 15: @ San Jose St

Great team win. Carlos Stewart looking more and more like a possible second coming of Jared who, I believe, started really shining a few weeks into conference play his frosh year. The difference is that Stewart has so much more talent around him right now than Brownridge probably ever did.

And while I was off on Keshawn’s point total (called another double-double), I came pretty darn close on the final tally. :wink:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all. Go Broncos.

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking Carlos Stewart kind of reminds me of Jeremy Pargo from Gonzaga some years ago. He’s a little smaller, but he’s also a better shooter at this stage. His explosiveness, his engine, and his ability to finish at the rim all remind of Pargo.

What do we think the minutes will look like for Pipes when he returns from illness? My hope is that coming off the bench and playing 10-15 min. a game can help him loosen up and find his shot.

Saw this posted to Youtube. All Jalen WIlliam’s highlights from last game. Jalen is such a skilled player.

2 Likes

Heard Players not heading home during schedule break

Hopefully it doesn’t go to his head

Considering Jalen was at his brother’s game last night, I think you got bad info from someone. I guess some could have decided to stay around campus, but at this point I think it should be each player’s decision. Can’t keep them in a bubble for 3 months.

Even pre-COVID, Christmas travel was variable with some guys staying at school and having a team Christmas with coaches. At least partly do to cost of flying at Christmas.
For this group…we have 4 Canadians. With the Canadian border reentry rules/requirements frequently evolving with COVID it would be pretty risky for those guys to travel home; could end up in quarantine and have a hard time getting back to the States promptly.
Plus airlines have started cancelling flights in the last couple of days due to COVID issues…going to make holiday travel even more chaotic than normal.

Maestro-
Pargo is a decent comparison for Stewart. Though Stewart has a ways to go to get to that level…Pargo was league MVP, spent several years in the NBA and several more in top level Euroleague.

In terms of PT when Pipes returns. I think it is likely that Pipes regains his starting role at some point, maybe sooner than later. As well as Stewart is playing, Pipes is much more experienced and displays better pt guard skills in terms of facilitating the offense, passing in pick/rolls and drive & dish situations. As of now, I see Stewart as more of combo guard with a score/shoot first mentality; ball handling skills are good but not much of passer/facilitator yet. Stewart could play the role of super-sub off the bench playing ~25mins a game and his energy could be a good shot in the arm off the bench. Keep Pipes’ minutes in the 28-30 range instead of mid-30’s+ he was playing early season plus reduce Jalen and Justice’s minutes to low-30’s instead of the high 30’s we’ve seen many games…there’s a big risk of those guys starting to wear down if they keep playing those minutes consistently.
And I think Giordan will continue to be in the mix in some fashion…has been consistent of late, avg. 10pts/game over the last 5, provides a little more size and 3pt shooting than Stewart.
Just my opinion…we’ll see how it shakes out.

2 Likes