Potential WCC Expansion

I have thought Denver and Seattle would be good adds years ago, particularly after BYU joined and Denver made more sense geographically. Now I think Denver and Seattle continue to make sense as they are in good markets which adds exposure for the league, and they are religious schools which, by and large, represents the conference. Denver can continue in the WHA for hockey and maybe the WCC could add Lacrosse (making us more IVY League?? In the eyes of school Presidents). As far as how small Seattle’s gym is (a prior comment), once we draw more than a 1,500 fans to a game and fill up more than half of Leavey then we can comment on other schools. Seattle was in the league one or two years when I was at SCU, the were the CHieftians then, now some sort of hawk. I would like to see the league add teams that want too be in and wouldn’t be jumping to a better offer later (like BYU who I think will suffer big time in the Big 12).

1 Like

Seattle’s gym isn’t an issue…they now play in the Climate Pledge Arena, formerly Key Arena (Sonics home). Underwent a massive overhaul to become the home of the new Seattle Kraken. I think the 18,000 seats will suffice :wink:

I don’t know where I got the bad info, thanks, 18,000 leaves plenty of room. BTW you mentioned St Thomas, current home of the new President for SCU. Good insight.

I imagine they did play on-campus during the 3 years Key Arena was being renovated, so not really bad info. They probably also played on campus for all or part of the couple of decades when they dropped down from D1.

They don’t play in that gym for every game

I was wrong about Seattle gym - I stand corrected