Game 13: vs. LMU

We need to STOP the midrange shot.

2 Likes

Chef is sick so that’s why he’s out

1 Like

Agreed. We need to run the fast break and we need to wear them down. They can’t place at this pace all game with a short bench.

1 Like

That was a lackluster first half to say the least. Need to make some adjustments in the 2nd half. Playing way too passive

2 Likes

LMU sucks and they only have 6 scholarship players tonight. Horrendous first half.

1 Like

Can we finally kill our awful commercial that was roundly hated even when it first came out? It’s the most soulless, sterile representation of a campus that is neither of those things. I know half the people in the commercial and still think it’s awful. And it’s almost 10 years old now…(terrifying for me and Nashty)

9 Likes

Free throws. Oh my goodness.

2 Likes

Other than his two missed free throws, Cam is the Broncos Player of the Game so far. Good D, timely rebounds, and great high percentage shots.

10 Likes

Love this. But I’m thinking Knapper.

2 Likes

Finally looking decent. It is sort of funny that the game where the Broncos keep TOs low, move the ball well, force some TOs themselves, out rebound the opponent, play Tongue, and other things we have been screaming for still manages to start as an ugly underperformance with awful shooting at every level and Bal being a non-factor.

5 Likes

If we could just solve the slow starts problem, I think we’d have much better results. We are lucky that we are up against the Lions tonight; against a better opponent, with a full squad, we very well might not have been able to win tonight.

3 Likes

Ensminger could be WCC DPOY someday. Staying in front of Wright there was impressive.

4 Likes

Atrocious FT shooting tonight…on the plus side, we didn’t have too many turnovers

5 Likes

Yeah, in those last 10 game minutes, BK turned it on and earned PotG.

Honorable mention to Cam.

3 Likes

To Santa Clara’s credit. LMU came to play tonight. They got nothing to lose so they got to be a little higher tempo. More chippy. More desperation play.

However. That’s how every team should play.

I know Bal is coming off an injury and his shot was off. It will return. That being said - he really showed an ability to make smart decisions tonight and deferred to a better shot from a teammate vs just trying to do it all by himself. That was nice to see the growth.

5 Likes

O’Neil has been very interesting to watch this year. He started very cold with his shot and I was attributing that to the change of system - he was in a very deliberate offense at American where he was efficient, but with a low volume of shots and a strong defensive orientation. Early this year I think he struggled with the change of system and green light for his shot. And now he is getting more comfortable in the offense and shooting much better. Great to see.

7 Likes

Same. :rofl: Feeling is mutual.

I disagree with O’Neil shooting much better. Maybe from inside the arc his numbers are better. But he’s shooting 31% from 3pt for the season and 9/37 on 3s in the last 6 games. Not to mention only 63% from the free throw line for the season

Agree with LL. O’Neil is a “volume” shooter. Decent scoring low percentage. Better from midrange and taking smaller defenders to the rim.
What I don’t get is with Bal back, we didn’t run some sets early for him to get a few clean looks to get comfortable?
BK was a great surprise coming off his injury.
I keep wondering why we don’t attack smaller lineup mismatches? Plus Tilly and Caffaro continue to post up at 10-12 ft out making moves to the basket much more difficult.
Lastly, love Ensminger but last night we are up 14 with 2:02 left and just got a new clock with an offensive rebound, and he jacks a 3 pt shot with 23 seconds on the shot clock? Head scratcher…
Two tough games left and slow starts could be deadly…

5 Likes

For WCC play, O’Neil has the best PRPG! rating on Torvik for the Broncos. PPRQ! is more or less an overall player rating factoring in everything from scoring and shooting efficiency to rebounding, and TO, Assist, Steal rates. Bal may or may not have edged him out if he hadn’t missed a few games.
O’Neil’s 3pt shooting has more or less remained flat at ~32% in WCC play but he’s shooting well on 2pointers (64%) and rebounding and TO’s #'s are good.