Ruff Riders being moved to Center Court

It’s a great plan! It should bring more students out to games. I follow Grand Canyon Men’s basketball and they have their students at center court and create a great atmosphere that attracts other fans. They have sold out their season tickets again this year.

4 Likes

I feel like we were definitely along the sidelines, if not at center court, when I was there (roughly the same time as Patty).

4 Likes

Everything comes back around eventually. We were in center court when I was there 2011-15. Then they changed it after that and here we are back again.

4 Likes

Wow, @kevind716 , @getnashty , Midwest, and I were all roughly the same era of Santa Clara hoops! Not bad fandom from a contingent that lived through one of the worst periods of SCU basketball history! Midwest at least got to see SCU beat Gonzaga. I just started with SCU’s famed 0-16 conference season.

Glad to see them getting moved back to the sideline. Hopefully they can show they deserve it. The thing about the end line is that, because it’s narrower, you can make it seem crowded with the right 200 people. The sidelines are a lot more sprawling so you really have to get a crowd for it to seem lively. It’s also more difficult to segregate, especially during less well-attended games. Random families will wander and sit in the “student section” which leads to awkwardness.

But but but, if the students can bring it, it’s way better to have them on the sidelines that under the basket. Better experience, more fun, and more directly impactful on the “atmosphere” for all the fans.

2 Likes

The bleachers along the sidelines, also create significantly more noise.

2 Likes

Kerry Keating would like to remind you that he won you a national championship, Patty. :wink:

5 Likes

Plus a school record for wins in a season I believe…don’t forget that.

2 Likes