WCC Game 4: San Diego

With Herbs idiotic non-contact man D (which not only gives up easy buckets, but is the sole reason this team gets creamed on the boards), I think you can put away the NIT talk. Herb will once again go 7-9 in the WCC.

Such a shame when we have such a talented and veteran team. This is as good as it gets with Sendek in charge.

I think my blood will boil when they start pushing for one of those fake, pay to play “tournaments” at the end of the season.

1 Like

I just peeked at the schedule: we only play BYU once (thankfully at home) and Pepp once. So if we sweep the Group of Five, we can get to 9 conference wins. Picking up one win against the rest (SMC at home?) could get us to 10. Fair to say that our ceiling is 10-6 in conference? 9-7 doable (but would require focus and execution), 8-8 or 7-9 likely, if history is a guide and we end up with a clunker or two. Playing the Toreros at USD will not be easy. Neither will playing at LMU.

I do think we could earn an NIT bid at 20-13, given that two key players were out for extended periods during many of the losses, I’d think that would be taken into consideration. However, I doubt we’d get consideration for a home game in the NIT, given how strict Santa Clara County has been about attendance at large gatherings.

They weren’t planning to play in the CBI/CIT after the 20win season in 2019/20 season (was cancelled due to COVID anyhow).
Will be interesting to see if we do this year if we don’t make the NIT.

Bob, yes something seemed to change dramatically after those first five games. Not sure if it was a change instigated by the coaching staff, or if the players lost some spark due to something else.

On a positive note: how much energy does Stewart inject when he comes into the game? Wow! And I really like Holt’s hustle. His floor diving in a previous game, and his shot block yesterday, gave me hope for our future interior D.

2 Likes

Can we just agree to refer to those other two tournaments as the “tourneys that shall not be named”? Every time I see those in writing, I immediately envision KK talking about the two championships his teams have won, which then leads to a strong, overwhelming sensation to hurl.

1 Like

Does anyone know what Herb’s contract situation is? Did we extend him? I don’t remember. Last two years is a blur. Not trying to debate his merits… just curious.

The first four games we shot out of our mind.

I think if Pipes can shoot closer to his career percentage, Bediako can provide consistent 10-15 minutes a game… 9-7 is reasonable.

We aren’t going to sweep the bottom 5. LMU will be tough & we always drop one.

An extension, why would be the question?

I think it has been discussed in another thread sometime in the past 2 months. Someone mentioned that he got an extension last year or the year before. I don’t remember the exact details.