WCC Game 5: @ Pacific

Stewart and Justice really came alive in the latter part of the first half but thought the supporting cast all showed flashes of really good basketball to keep us tied or in the lead. 8 guys playing and 8 guys all making major contributions on the stat sheet.

2 Likes

A little backcourt foul trouble (Akametu and Steward w/ 3 each)…could be an issue.

Stewart and Justice stepped up offensively w/o Podz.
Bench guys and Kosy with solid contributions.
Back to back double-doubles for Parker.

Now…fingers crossed Podz concussion isn’t a bad one and he’s feeling better soon. A tough week next week vs. BYU Thurs, @ SMC Saturday.

4 Likes

Really nice road win, especially with Podz out. Once they took care of the ball, everything fell into place. Some tough interior defense and absolutely dominant on the glass.

It seemed like everyone who played contributed, but Keyshawn and Parker really stood out.

Hopefully back to full strength against BYU. I had to laugh at how they somehow managed to lose against the Zags on Thursday. I normally root for other WCC teams against Gonzaga, but since BYU is leaving for the Big 12, they’re dead to me.

8 Likes

Podz is back for the BYU game. Holt should be too, I think Covid protocol is only 5 days now?

4 Likes

I was really impressed with spurts of play from Akametu and Tilly. I hope that Kosy can have a frosh to sophomore transition analogous to Carlos Stewart. Like Stewart, his athleticism is immense, but his decision-making sometimes trails behind. Carlos has really matured since his first season and is much more reliable with the ball to bolster his prolific scoring, ability to steal, etc. If Kosy can make the same development, he will be a great option at 3/2, especially with Keshawn leaving. Kosy is maybe less of a spot-up shooter from deep, but the hardest thing about replacing Keshawn will be defense and rebounding. Kosy has the body and strength to fill the gap while bringing his own slashing style of offense.

Tilly is quite mobile and coordinated for a 7-footer. If he can make some minor improvements to his game, he also can be a real asset for rim protection and even some front court offense.

7 Likes

PMac, agree that Kosy and Tilly had solid outings. Kosy has that nice burst going to the rim. Rare for the Broncos to have someone with blow-by quickness at 6-5. And Tilly continues to be a pleasant surprise. Clearly showing his German roots with that Nowitzki-esque fadeaway flamingo!

4 Likes