Around the West Coast Conference

https://x.com/JonRothstein/status/1784996893019279550

Mahaney to UConn.

Mahaney has been getting crushed on the Gael’s board for being cocky & selfish and a player with serious holes in his game

UConn doesn’t really take those kids. :rofl:

We’ll see what Bennett is made of. Hopefully, he stays on his blood pressure medication.

UCONN takes role players and makes them a collective.

Jevon Porter, who transferred from Pepperdine to Loyola Marymount this spring, arrested on a DWI.

Particularly sad given his brother Coban pled guilty earlier this year after killing a 42-year-old woman while drinking and driving.

https://x.com/cbb_central/status/1785703552456745193?s=46&t=xEUmr_7uuY2KI9DKH3UukA

1 Like

Good Lord, that family has had a real rough streak.

4 Likes

https://x.com/kasselmedia/status/1787682044686069967?s=46&t=xEUmr_7uuY2KI9DKH3UukA

“ I’ve been told Saint Mary’s is blocking four-star recruit Zion Sensley’s release from his NLI.

He announced his intention to decommit following associate head coach Justin Joyner’s departure for Michigan.

Sensley will need to file an appeal with the NCAA for his release.”

2 Likes

That’s a bad look from all involved. Not sure what SMC or any coach/program thinks they’ll gain by blocking a NLI release.

5 Likes

Elijah Fisher announces his commitment to Coach Dave Smart & @PacificMensBB

:canada: Coach Smart recruits second Canadian & counting, Fisher joining Jefferson Koulibaly

Elijah’s got a chance to have serious impact in WCC. Elite defensively with high motor & strong slashing ability

https://x.com/joe_nph/status/1788042301161263551?s=46&t=xEUmr_7uuY2KI9DKH3UukA

University of San Diego landed a commitment from 6’11 prospect Kean Webb out of Golden State Prep Post Grad (CA) earlier tonight.

Coach Steve Lavin & Co. offered Webb earlier this week & have added the big in the class of '24.

https://x.com/jakelieberman2/status/1788078447912538614?s=46&t=xEUmr_7uuY2KI9DKH3UukA

Okay - where do we start the whole WCC expansion discussion? I’m confused. I THOUGHT Washington State and Oregon State were “officially” part of WCC for 2024-25 season. Did I get that wrong? And on TWITTER today, Gonzaga President announced the addition of Grand Canyon University and Seattle University to the WCC for the 2025-26 season. Is the WCC picking up four more teams?

1 Like

I believe OSU and WSU only committed to the WCC for two years (or maybe it was 1 year with a 1 year option), and I think that is just for some sports. Those schools will end up in a bigger conference, I’m sure. At the very least, the MWC.

GCU and Seattle U are NOT the same. I’m shocked at the GCU addition.

3 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. That will be 13 schools total for 2025-26.

1 Like

Agree - adding GCU is gross. Great Clips U.
A for-profit university and part of a publicly traded entity.

1 Like

This is how I understand it…

OSU/Wazzu are in for two years. That buys them time for the MW contracts to end and then they can poach those schools to form a new P12. Probably poach of a bunch of MW schools. They can get by right now with the payouts they got from the other ten. P12 members.

Gonzaga is stuck right now. The Big 12 has no interest at this point in time without football.

The 25-26 season will feature 13 WCC schools. Following that season, Wazzu and OSU will leave and it will be 11 schools.

Grand Canyon- 10 years ago, I would be shocked and would have voted against adding GCU. Today, I think it’s the right move. This is about survival and business. I think the landscape will change significantly by the end of 2032 (when the current NCAA tournament TV deal ends). All bets are off when that happens, but the WCC will want to position itself with as many “assets” as it possibly can in hopes of being included in whatever the new landscape looks like. I think adding GCU to the WCC just made way too much sense from a business perspective. Their hands are tied.

I think SCU athletics have a chance to survive. The school has wealthy donors and facilities are at least solid. Whether they will want to or not is another question. I definitely have my concerns. I would have far more concern about schools like Portland, Pacific, Pepperdine, Seattle etc.

4 Likes

I think adding GCU is gross and the right move at the same time. :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

So why is the GU president making the announcement???

1 Like

Good question. I’d think the commissioner should be the one to announce.

2 Likes

My mistake…I see the WCC made the announcement this morning, with the interesting comment that “each university has a unique and distinct character…”. Read that how you will.

1 Like

GCU is a great addition . They have incredible student support and brought 4,000 fans to the WAC tournament this year. All their venues are new . They have a waiting list for men’s basketball tickets for their 7,000 seat arena . They could teach the WCC about building student support.

2 Likes

Kinda where I’m at as well. If college sports were more stable, I’d say pass permanently on GCU. With the instability around the sport and the fact that these additions are much less likely to bolt (whereas OSU and WSU are loans) this feels like a good way to keep the conference somewhat steady for the not-very-foreseeable future.

6 Likes

'Hoops5 characterization of this is probably the consensus of the board and about the most positive statement a Bronco alum can make, especially if you believe in SCU and its mission as an institution.

From my end…1000% agree with the ‘gross’ part, not so sure on the ‘right move’ part…time will tell.

While I’ve advocated strongly AGAINST adding GCU in the past, this move doesn’t shock or surprise. The way of the world these days unfortunately. Another indication that the adage: ‘money is the root of all evil’ may be true.

Also doesn’t surprise me when you consider that few if any of the athletic directors, nor the league commish are WCC alums. Probably very few school presidents either. They may say the see or get what makes many WCC schools special, the mission, the family vibe, the alum loyalty, etc…but they probably don’t and can’t truly get it when they didn’t attend any of the schools and experience first hand themselves. Most AD’s and league commishs are mercenaries, just looking to build a resume for their next job, as such they’re focused on the short-term at the expense of the long term implications.

I understand the pragmatic view of ‘hoops5’ and Patty. On most matters, I’m a pragmatist as well.
But ask yourself: does the success or failure (or mere existence) of the WCC hinge on whether or not GCU joins the league? I’d say no. If your answer is yes then I’d say that we’re already screwed and doomed to fail. IMO, adding or not adding GCU is vastly insignificant to the exterior forces and variables that will determine the future of D1 sports, the WCC and SCU’s position and role in those entities. In which case why poison the water and add a school like them.

Finally, from a basketball perspective, GCU is not Gonzaga, in fact they are not even BYU or St. Mary’s (yes I realize GCU just beat SMC…who cares, just 1 game). Yes, they’ve had some recent success but time will tell if they can sustain it. If GCU settles in as an above average WCC team, typically 2nd to 4th place, more or less USF of the past ~8years…then does their addition really matter? Unless they are a perennial Top 25 team then their presence isn’t enough to ‘save’ the league from the exterior forces at play.

This has turned in to a rant…not my intention, so I’ll end it for now. There will surely be additional lively discussion on the matter over the next several years.

Bigger picture…it’s a beautiful Spring day where I’m at, heading out to enjoy it. Hope it’s the same for you on this Mother’s Day weekend.

3 Likes