Around the West Coast Conference

Even if GCU continues to have big time hoops success, the WCC (and the rest of mid major conferences for that matter) are a sinking ship.
In the end when the NCAA dissolves, Gonzaga (and perhaps GCU) find one of the few power leagues to land in, and the 200+ current D1 teams that get left out end up playing much smaller ball (think current D3), if not quitting altogether.
I’m just going to enjoy the last few years as they currently are and hope somehow things divert from what seems like an inevitable path.

3 Likes

Seems like at worst Mogbo will get a 2nd round guarantee. Everything but the shooting is intriguing. It could help our NET if USF is really good next year, but I think Mogbo is probably better off developing in the G-League where he can shoot as many shots as possible from the outside. Also, he is already old by prospect standards. He turns 23 in October and is only 6 months younger than Jalen Williams.

1 Like

Selfishly, I would like for Mogbo to go to the draft. It becomes another selling point for recruits transferring into the WCC, even for SCU to use, and also clears a path to 2nd or 3rd in the conference next season for SCU if they can put it all together. I don’t see USF being a contender without Mogbo.

3 Likes

As Bob notes, the only question mark w/ Mogbo is perimeter shooting, everything else is plus for his position/role.

3pt shooting can be taught/learned…especially stand still catch and shoot as a 3rd or 4th scoring option…doesn’t have to learn step-backs, on the move, off the dribble going left and right, etc. Keep in mind USF played him out of position as a center because they didn’t have any other options. In NBA he’ll be a flexible forward as 3 or 4 who can guard three to four positions. IMO, a poor man’s version of GU’s Brandon Clark who has had a nice career w/ Memphis. Also reminds me a little of Golden State’s Kuminga.

And as the Tweet noted, he isn’t lacking in fundamentals, already a playmaker with good ball handling and passing for 6-8 forward. There are a ton of regular NBA rotation guys who are less talented/athletic who are rotation guys focusing on defense, rebounding and simply bringing energy and he can provide more than just that.

I can’t imagine all ~30 teams passing him over in the 2nd round…more than a few have to be salivating over his upside. We’ll see.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 24-25 Non-Conference Schedule

3 Likes

Right move for Mogbo…strike while his stock is rising.
Selfishly, yes, this aids the Broncos in not having to deal with him next year but I truly think it’s the best move for him.
Like many players, he needs a little luck to land with the right team who is able and motivated to help develop him, within a system that fits him. Don or not, I’ll be rooting for him and hope it works out.

4 Likes

Diagne, if he’s in fact a rim protector, fills what was the one hole on GU’s roster and aside from the Holmgren year has been a Zag weakness for ~4-5 years. Ike is a great low post scorer and rebounder but not much of a shot blocker.

Now the question is whether Few will give Diagne steady run. Few has historically not had much patience for the good, raw athletes who need some polish. See Hunter Sallis and Efton Reid who transferred and started for Wake Forest…Sallis was a regular rotation guy in 2022/23 but wasn’t promised a starting role in 2023/24 and proceeds to blow up at Wake Forest and entered the NBA draft (though probably returning to school).

2 Likes

Ugh, the rich get richer. GU is looking loaded.
Been a good couple of good weeks for them:
-Ajayi returns
-land 7’ center recruit - Diagne
-Colgate transfer PG Braeden Smith (conf POY)
-transfer wing Emmanuel Innocenti - high level athlete/defender
-Arkansas transfer wing Khalif Battle, 6th year, proven elite scorer

And Venters returns from injury and every rotation player from last season except Watson returns.

Big shoes to fill with Watson leaving but between Ajayi, Innocenti, Battle and Venters, it seems like a net step forward. If nothing else, much more depth and scoring pop.

3 Likes

Honestly, with that lineup you can write it in pen right now… Zags win the WCC again next season. I’m sure nobody here wants to hear that, but the Zags likely contend for a national title with the talent they have.

2 Likes

This team is a lot better than last years.

2 Likes

I was mistaken in the other thread about the unbalanced schedule. The WCC is going back to unbalanced with 18-game conference slates.

SCU gets its single-game matchups with Pepperdine at home and Portland on the road. That’s pretty ideal, honestly, and allows SCU to avoid two games against some teams that are likely to struggle in conference. I think Pacific may have a surge under the new staff. I don’t see the same for Pepperdine and Legans seems to be really challenged for the upcoming season.

More here:

2 Likes

Mogbo drafted by the Raptors with the 1st pick of Round 2.

Anton Watson drafted by the Celtics with the 24th pick of the Round 2.

Anton with the Celtics makes a ton of sense. Anton has that East Coast playing style they will love. It’s gonna be tough though with so many amazing players ahead of him.

1 Like

Isa Silva transferring to USF.

Isa was a Bronco recruit ~4years ago. Initially went to Stanford and spent two seasons there, then transferred to Long Beach St. for last season.

Got regular though modest PT at Stanford but things have never really taken off for him. His best season to date was his frosh year at Stanford, playing 14mins a game with averages of 3.5 pts, 1.2 assists. A career 35% 3pt shooter but relatively low shooting volume for a guard.

We’ll see how things turn out for him at USF. Initially has to be lower on the depth chart behind returning starting pt guard Marcus Williams and hot shot frosh Ryan Beasley.

Isael ‘Isa’ Silva on X: “BACK TO THE BAYSICS! Go Dons :green_heart::yellow_heart: AMDG :pray:t3: https://t.co/yCpz7cNVqV” / X

Steele Venters out for another season due to an Achilles injury. Brutal luck for the young man. I’m not sure he stays in college for another season given that he’s already 23.

Oof, that is just horrible luck.

On the bright side, maybe he’s already well on his way to earning a master’s or PhD with that many years in school.

Trying to find a silver lining in such a dark cloud of news.

Makes me wonder: what is the longest tenure in school for a D1 athlete? And does he still get his Covid extra year, given that he first played in 2020-21?