First team all WCC

Not a single player outside of the top 5 teams.

Randy Bennett COTY
Drew Timme POTY

I can’t argue with any of the picks.

I’d replace Tass w/ Eli Scott.

I think sometimes they go overboard w/ ‘rewarding’ the top teams.

I doubt Tass and Kuhse were consensus picks. Shows what a good job Bennett did to be 2nd place and tourney lock w/o any players who were sure fire 1st team all-league.

Vrankic came on strong late, while Keyshawn’s scoring dropped some in the later part of league otherwise he may have challenged Vrankic for that spot.

And Keyshawn is 2nd team.
Pipes didn’t make honorable, probably deserved it the way he came on strong late season.

And oddly they picked a 7 man All Freshmen team including 3 Pepp Waves; no Carlos Stewart.

Link to full story: Timme Tabbed WCC Player Of The Year - West Coast Conference (wccsports.com)

2021-22 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Major Individual Honors
Player of the Year: Drew Timme, Gonzaga
Coach of the Year: Randy Bennett, Saint Mary’s
Newcomer of the Year: Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga
Sixth Man of the Year: Tommy Kuhse, Saint Mary’s
Defensive Player of the Year: Chet Holmgren, Gonzaga

2021-22 All-WCC Men’s Basketball First Team
Name Yr. Pos. School
Alex Barcello Sr. G BYU
Jamaree Bouyea Gr. G San Francisco
Chet Holmgren Fr. F Gonzaga
Tommy Kuhse Gr. G Saint Mary’s
Yauhen Massalski Gr. F San Francisco
Andrew Nembhard Sr. G Gonzaga
Matthias Tass Sr. F/C Saint Mary’s
Drew Timme Jr. F Gonzaga
Josip Vrankic Sr. F Santa Clara
Jalen Williams Jr. G Santa Clara

2021-22 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Second Team
Name Yr. Pos. School
Alex Ducas Jr. G/F Saint Mary’s
Logan Johnson Sr. G Saint Mary’s
Keshawn Justice Sr. F Santa Clara
Tyler Robertson So. G/F Portland
Eli Scott Gr. G/F LMU
Khalil Shabazz Sr. G San Francisco

2021-22 All-WCC Men’s Basketball Freshman Team
Name Pos. School
Nolan Hickman G Gonzaga
Chet Holmgren F Gonzaga
Maxwell Lewis F Pepperdine
Houston Mallette G Pepperdine
Wayne McKinney III G San Diego
Mike Mitchell Jr. G Pepperdine
Fousseyni Traore F BYU

2021-22 WCC Men’s Basketball Honorable Mention Selections
Jeremiah Bailey, Pacific; Rasir Bolton, Gonzaga; Marcellus Earlington, San Diego; Julian Strawther, Gonzaga; Moses Wood, Portland

Glad to see Justice get recognized. I know it does not factor into conference awards, but he was sooooo good in the non-conference. Also, a jump in 2 rebounds per game over last year is substantial.

And as for Pipes, his slow start to conference was too much to overcome to get recognized for awards…but wow, look at his last 7 games. Absolutely on fire from 3. I am just as impressed with some of his crafty finishes around the rim.

Different take on the first team (with only 5 players as god intended) but Jalen, Josip, and Justice all represented.

Carlos Stewart did not get enough minutes to make the freshman team ( part of being on a good team) but all his offensive metrics are headed in the right direction. Stewart actually has a higher Offensive Rating than Jalen did as a freshman, and much higher than guys like Mitchell for Pepperdine. Everything about his small sample size screams future star.

Have any of you seen the Knapper between the leg dunk (like Isiah Rider)on social media? It is pretty ridiculous for someone his size., or any size for that matter.

2 Likes

Yeah, what’s the deal with Knapper? Was he hurt all year?

Knapper…don’t think he was ever hurt, just redshirting.

He was suited up all year, I imagine they just made the calculated decision not to burn a year of eligibility playing mop up minutes only. They could have pulled his redshirt any time during the season if they needed to if there was a rash of injuries. But we had an abundance of backcourt depth with Jalen, Pipes, Giordan and Stewart. Plus a 5th guard in Tomley who after getting some minutes early season and having a couple of solid games barely played in the WCC games. No need for 6th guard in Knapper.

As 'Bob notes, Knapper does appear to have tremendous athleticism. He’s listed at 6-0 which is probably generous but the kid can throw down some impressive dunks. I only attended 2 games this season but in pregame warm-ups, Knapper displayed an array of dunks…off backboard, bounce self-lobs, windmills, etc. Appears every bit as athletic as Stewart. Looking forward to seeing what Knapper can do next season, assuming Stewart is the starting pt guard next season, Knapper could fill Stewart’s current role of backup pt guard and inject some energy and athleticism off the bench.

2 Likes