Game 10: New Mexico St

At one point, the ball came off the court to Drew, he threw it to Bud, and Bud called back “you were open.” :slight_smile: So great to see those guys friends for life, and watch how they interacted with the players on the court. At one point the score was 64-61. Anyone remember another time that score happened? Best wishes for the holidays . Let’s keep it rolling.

1 Like

In the end, though, we pointed to Iona, Wyoming, and NMSU as three important games that would test the Broncos. They got some help with starting opposing players out in each of those games. But they won all three.

Santa Clara continues to basically be on par with the most optimistic preseason projections (within reason) one way or another. The team deserves credit for that. The issues that need to be cleaned up are what stands between a good Santa Clara squad and a great one.

3 Likes

I do recall the 64-61 T-shirt being quite fashionable on campus at one point.

1 Like

Rutgers is playing Ohio State tonight. I just learned that Rutgers is a leading defense and a leading 3-pt defense, holding opponents to 20% 3-pt shooting percentage. Perhaps Herb and friends should watch some film and see how it’s done well. I’m sick of seeing teams own us at the 3-pt line.

2 Likes

If I’m an opposing team, I’m scheming constant inside-out plays against our Broncos, at least until we can prove that we can defend it.

1 Like

Also, looking at the box score, we were nearly even on O-boards, but had 5 more turnovers than NMSU (Braun had 6 turnovers by himself!)…not surprising that NMSU had 5 more shots than we did. 50% free throw shooting by our boys doesn’t help either.

1 Like

I’ve been out of pocket and out of the country for the last few games (Travel tidbit…if you can make it to Tivoli in Copenhagen during christmas season do it. Santa Cruz Boardwalk (without the riff raff) meets Christmas in the Park meets Its a Small World).

But from a continent away and not seeing the games, it seems to be the Broncos are living in the edge and teetering on conference mediocrity because they can’t put a complete game together. I haven’t “seen” both Podz and Justice at their peaks at the same time, we can’t defend the three and we are arent putting away teams that or short handed.

Maybe it’s just me, but my confidence is not high. Am I wrong? Please tell me I am.

4 Likes

you are not wrong, Weave.

1 Like

Weave, you are spot on. The Broncos can play poorly at times. The can also play brilliantly. Bediako is perfect example. A couple of games ago he didn’t miss a shot. Last night he was half asleep. Fortunately, I think we’re starting to get consistent scoring from Podz, Justice and Stewart. The bigs are still wildly unpredictable. Oh how I miss Vrankic.

1 Like

And there was that kid name Williams. Can’t remember his first name, but he was pretty good I think.

Weave-
As buckets has succinctly stated…you aren’t wrong.

I’ve been saying the same throughout but I’d say a majority here are a bit more optimistic and forgiving of our Broncos’ faults than I (and appears you).
I’m a realist (some here may view me as pessimist…don’t know). But it’s hard for me to get all that excited by the Iona (missing one of the best starters), Wyoming (missing their 2 best players) and NMSU (missing 2 starters and 4 rotation guys) wins considering their depleted rosters. If we had thumped any or all as we did to TCU last season then great, but that didn’t happen.

Maybe I have PTSD from years of mediocrity in WCC play (lots of 6 to 8 win seasons) from the later years of DD, through KK and continuing through the first 5 years of Sendek (5 games under .500). As such, and considering the lower middle of the WCC seems fairly improved (LMU, Pepp and USD), I’m anticipating a dogfight amongst the middle 7 of the WCC and worried we end up with another 7 or 8 win season. I just don’t want to revert back to the past mediocrity and fail to build on the solid 2021/22 season.

To end on a more positive note…the good stuff: Podz has been great across the board, Justice steady of late, younger guys like Stewart and Knapper have flashed some good play at times, Braun and Bediako have had several good games.

Podz was an amazing pickup – I hope he stays with the program. I was hoping that Stewart would be a little further along, but I think he has the right physical build and demeanor to be the penetrator and kick-out guy. Knapper really is an eye-opener, let’s hope he builds his confidence and rapport with the others. Braun is better off-ball, his ball handling has led to way too many turnovers. Bediako has flashed, we just need him to be consistent. I’d add that we miss Carlos Marshall, he moved off-ball to the right places on the court, very active, without him we just feel stagnant in our half-court sets. Next to Podz, CM was my favorite newcomer.

1 Like

Not wrong. Herb does not like to use his bench and I can GUARANTEE if last nights game went into OT - it was a LOSS for Santa Clara. (Our boys were too tired) We do not guard the 3pt shot well at all. We do have a kid with a massive wingspan, who does take chances and hustles -but his role has turned into keeping seats warm for teammates. BTW - he had a MASSIVE defensive rebound - but I see it is not on his stats today - so the crap just keeps piling for him.

GWILLL is out for season with ACL. Surprised this was not known already.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying, 92, and mostly agree when I force myself to look at things a little more soberly. If I can offer one small data point, though: the same Slazinski-less Iona squad that played the Broncos just drilled a St. Louis team that had a prayer of sneaking into the top-25 eventually. So the Iona win looks to me like a quality victory even with Iona missing a player.

4 Likes

I would like to see your son in the game more often. Hopefully he will get more chances. Saw he got two points and since we won by one it was a difference maker. In the next couple of games there should be more bench play though none of the games left are gimmes. Cal is the weakest but is overdue for a good game.

2 Likes

With Cam’s improved stroke, he’s the closest guy we have on the current roster to replace Keyshawn when he’s gone next year. Kosy is probably in that discussion too, but Cam appears to be a better shooter at this point. I hope Cam hangs in there, keeps getting better and takes full advantage of his opportunities. That’s all he can do.

2 Likes

He is physical. Plays tough. Hustles. We need that energy. Nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get into a rhythm at 40 secs - 4 mins/game.

I want him to leave. No secret. Pods had 1 min/game where he came from. Look what he is doing now. Coaches in Big East and AAC made it clear they would love to see Cam in the portal. They know him and how to use him.

Inn the meantime - Cam will continue to work hard and stay after every practice for one on one while I TRY to get our ridiculously quiet spectators to show they have a pulse. (Our fan energy is weak). I will remain GRATEFUL for the ongoing development. Ludwig puts a lot of extra time into Cam.

My theory on the quickest way to get in the rhythm of the game: Go for EVERY rebound at BOTH ends.

Its a great theory - but when put to the test, has not worked. Cam is all about rebounding. So far this season there are two defensive boards not recorded for him. (One may be that there was a foul committed on the weak side and we gave ball back). And if he is not getting boards - he is boxing out so his teammates can. Go watch film of his 40 sec - 4 minutes of play and watch what he does when a shot goes up.

I also believe The Obstacle is the Way (Ryan Holiday). Go Cam!!

1 Like