Game 8: Wyoming @ Salt Lake City

Stewart with the Steal and Slam. Broncos down 2 with 2:49 to play. Wyoming Ball.

Podz for 3! Broncos up 1. 1:31 to go, Wyoming Ball.

Wyoming comes back down and makes a 3. Broncos down 2 with 1:13 to play and the ball.

Stewart gets fouled attacking the basket. Makes both free throws. Tie game. Wyoming comes down and misses a 3 ptr. Broncos get rebound. Santa Clara ball with 26 seconds left. 25 seconds on shot clock.

Broncos clear out for Podz and he misses a relatively contested 3 with 8 seconds left. Wyoming gets the rebound and misses a half court shot. Going to overtime!

Broncos win by 4 in Overtime. Amazing game. So many great individual performances. The $29 Flosports thing is ridiculous but I actually feel like I got my moneyā€™s worth with that game. Wow. Other than the atrocious perimeter defense in the first half, this was an A+ effort in all other aspects of the game. Stewart is starting to find his groove. I donā€™t know what the turnover numbers were tonight but I donā€™t recall many for the Broncos. Bediako was a monster and it was Braunā€™s best offensive game by far. Podz had a 10 minute stretch of phenomenal play , and Justice had the play of the game late when he got an offensive rebound and score on a missed Bediako free throw.

5 Likes

Looks like a good win for our boys after an apparently less-than-stellar 1st-half defensively. As I said earlier, I hate these early afternoon games. Neutral court at a JC just makes it worse. Nice to escape with the W.

1 Like

BroncoBob, could you post a screenshot of the boxscore for us? I donā€™t see it anywhere, looks like FloSports is holding it captive.

thanks so muchā€¦ happy for the guysā€¦ it sounds like apart from defense on the three (what is happening there?) the team is coming togetherā€¦ how was the rebounding? I think we are 6th nationally now

2 Likes

Patty, nice call on the final score ā€“ you nearly nailed it (though, I doubt you envisioned OT)

1 Like

Donā€™t see a full box score yet but I found this on twitter.

1 Like
4 Likes

Iona, Wyo and UCF were three important games. We went 2-1, and did fine in the loss.

A few interesting teams left in the non-conf, and some bad ones. NMSU is usually talented tho they donā€™t seem too good this year. Cal is horrid (0-7 at the moment). Boise state will be tough but at least its at home. Winning double digit games before the start of conference would be a win and we should be able to do so. Heck, we could be 12-3 or 13-2ā€¦ IF we can avoid the sleeper loss, which is a challenge.

Go Broncos.

3 Likes

thank you for posting the box score

first thing that strikes me is the low number of turnovers committed in an OT game.

1 Like

I think UC Irvine is having a sneaky good year too, and just narrowly lost to a good San Diego State team. I expect Boise State, New Mexico State, and Irvine to be our three biggest tests remaining before conference. If we get through those teams 2-1 or better, and avoid silly losses to teams we should beat (like Cal and Sac State), it would be an all around successful pre-league season.

2 Likes

First the good:

• Advance metrics suggest this was the best offensive performance of the season.
  • Balanced scoring from the starting 5, all in double figures.
  • Good to see Stewart with strong offensive game after struggling most of the season to date.
  • Low turnoversā€¦rare this season.
  • Reboundingā€¦a strength all season, remained one.

The not so goodā€¦this Wyoming squad was missing their top two players, Ike and Maldonado, and thereā€™s a sharp drop from those two to the next guys. The team that took the floor tonight for Wyoming is probably a 150-175ish team,very mediocre. So itā€™s a little hard for me to get as excited as others here are for the win over a mediocre team that took OT to do it.
After being solid for most of the season, the D took a turn for the worse, statistically, nearly as bad as the Utah St. drubbing.
At some point weā€™re going to face a good team thatā€™s also at full strength (rememberā€¦Iona was also missing their best player)ā€¦weā€™re going to have to play a more complete game to beat those type of teams.

Good news is, it is still early. Hopefully Marshall can return by WCC play if not sooner; would give us a veteran 6th man off the bench who contributes like a starter and would also help keep the minutes reasonable for Podz and Keyshawn.

1 Like

On the remaining non-con schedule.

Generally agree with others.
Weā€™ll be heavily favored the next 4 games, all at home vs. Sac St.
For the remaining 7 non-con, weā€™re heavilying favored in 5; the other two vs. Irvine and Boise St. are pickā€™em games according to Torvik.
5-2 if not 6-1 should be the expectation over that stretch.

I concur with Bobā€™s observations and donā€™t have much to add. Iā€™d underline how good Bediako was again, though. He effectively closed the game by getting two consecutive offensive boards, which got the clock down below 20 seconds and forced Wyoming to foul.

They seemed to miss a lot of rotations in the first half which led to Wyoming players getting open from three. Add that to aberrant good shooting (65% from three) and you have the makings of a rout were it not for a pretty great offensive performance for SCU as well.

I donā€™t know that I think Wyoming is quite as mediocre as you 92, but I do think that serviceable (even if not great) three point defense in the first half was the difference between the narrow win in OT and a win in regulation with maybe even a little more cushion.

I will say that some of the Wyoming shots that went in were pretty acrobatic and well defendedā€“much more so than anything that Santa Clara got away with. But there were enough easy backdoor cuts to layups and simple reverses under the hoop that you canā€™t chalk it up to just incredible shooting.

Someone is doing a great job with these short highlight videos this year.

2 Likes