WCC Game 5: BYU

Wow that was a solid win!! Such an exciting game to watch. This has to be our best season in a long time.

1 Like

Yep that’s a Quad 1 win!!! BYU was ranked 28 on NET and a Quad 1 win at home has to be against a 1-30 ranked team!

1 Like

Clutch shot by Jalen. We’ve had many go the other way against us over the years, glad to see one go our way.

Overall, not the best game we’ve played. Was much like the SMC game…not clean, way too many missed layups and some silly passes and turnovers. And as feared, Traore and others hurt us on the offensive glass. Fortunately, BYU botched the last minute, first with the long errant air-mailed inbound pass then with the FT lane violation.

4 Likes

Heard from a good source that the 25% goes away next week because students will be back in classes

1 Like

Thanks Coach Pope for a terrible play!

We also don’t go to Provo this year !

1 Like

Still can’t believe they won, and in regulation no less. BYU had the ball and a 4-point lead with less than 50 seconds to go. At that point the Broncos looked cooked, but that 3 by Pipes broke a drought and from then on it was all SCU. That must have been agonizing to witness for BYU fans, but as you said, we’ve been on the other side of that situation a number of times.

Great to beat BYU; first win over them in 5 years. A great win for the program and one of the most exciting finishes I’ve seen here!

5 Likes

Just watched it recorded, thoughts…

• Carlos Stewart looks back on track to breaking out. I predicted big things from him and he hit a slump for a handful of games. But boy is he explosive
  • also thought pipes stepped up, looked more confident
  • we can win without vrankic
  • off night for justice, but he was being hounded all night - was definitely a focal point of the byu D
  • Jalen is a stud, let him dictate our offense
  • Braun and bediako have to put a body on the defensive glass
  • Very little depth tonight, interested to see if we go deeper on sat playing our 3rd game this week. Is tomley done? Only 3 min from Holt? Giordan played 11 minutes but I don’t really remember him doing anything

Love to see us get a W. A win against Usf and I’ll be over the moon. I hope we get a defeated Usf squad on Saturday.

3 Likes

Also random, but I know the bediako brother (who was the #2 prospect out of Canada is playing on a good Alabama team), I didn’t realize Braun’s brother is a starter on Kansas.

Can we at least land the younger brother of Jalen Williams (who’s looking like a very sought after prospect)?

Crazy how many siblings we have playing (or about to play) college bball.

Cougarboard on full meltdown

3 Likes

Two very even teams. SCU has more skill 1-5 but BYU has a few more athletic bigs to attack the glass. Nothing lucky about this one as the Broncos went 6-19 from 3 and BYU 8-22.

I am still mad about that ridiculous charge call they made on Vrankic,

1 Like

Hayward, you’re correct…students are supposed to be back in classrooms Monday.

Knowing Cougar fandom is melting down is just icing on the cake.
Won’t miss BYU when they’re gone…

2 Likes

agree with your postgame comments, Midwest.

I’ll add:

1. we’ve got to get better at shooting CLUTCH free throws. Braun especially. If he doesn’t improve at the charity stripe, he will be a late-game foul target.
  2. our boys are at their collective best when they are in perpetual motion in the frontcourt. I really feel like we can get to the rim on every possession against any team in the conference, except Gonzaga, of course.
  3. we need to get better situationally. Justice was not having a good night, and taking that late 3-pointer, while he was full speed going forward, was just a poor decision. Predictably, that shot clanged long.
  4. rebounding: in the first half, we were OUTREBOUNDING the Cougars. I believe in the first half we had FIVE offensive rebounds. The Cougars were shooting 50% FG, and we were only at 44%, but we had TEN more shots than BYU (thanks to the o-boards and to the FIVE turnovers committed in the first half by BYU, to our ONE). Somehow, everything flipped in the second half and we reverted to old form, giving up a lot of o-boards to BYU. That late 2nd half put-back off the missed 3-pointer (where we had two guys down low), putting BYU up by 3, could’ve been the backbreaker.
  5. Jalen is a better defender than I gave him credit for – he was glued to Barcello for most of the night. He’s still no Troy Payne, but he is very much a plus defender.
1 Like

Good thing I wasn’t in Vegas yesterday as it would have cost me.

Best win of the year. BYU is the clear second best team in WCC. They’re the only WCC team that doesn’t start with the letter G that has more talent than SCU.

Finally a defensive adjustment as JWil played no help D and stuck to Barcello (who is really a heck of a player and still managed to be effective).
Also, a solid way to finish whether the final shot goes down or not. I could live with JWil driving for the game deciding bucket night in and night out.

2 Likes

I get that Herb likes to prevent transition buckets, but the softness on the offensive glass for the past several years has really frustrated me. I think we regularly leave 6-8 second chance points on the table that we might have if only the forwards more regularly competed. And I don’t think the defensive sacrifices would be that great.

I think the first half last night demonstrated that the forwards, especially Bediako and Holt, can compete for a rebound or at least try to whack the ball toward a player on the perimeter without sacrificing too much in transition. If BYU (easily one of the fastest teams in the conference) isn’t getting tons of transition buckets even with a little rebounding competition, then how does it make any sense to immediately send everyone back against teams like Saint Mary’s or San Diego, who seem to go out of their way to avoid fast breaks?

Best finish since the Wertz double-dagger against USC, I think.

And Jalen will get a ton of deserved credit for the two coast-to-coast buckets, but I want to give a little credit to Pipes for draining that quick three that initially got SCU within 1. He has struggled so much from the outside, but when the team needed him to just bury it, he did.

Another random play I loved: Carlos Stewart stealing the inbounds play and then putting the ball right in the hoop almost in the blink of an eye. That wasn’t a game-changing moment per se but about as good of hustle as I’ve seen from an SCU player.

1 Like
2 Likes

I told me friends at the game I would have put $100 on BYU