Game 1: Cal State - Fullerton

CSF might not go a game only making 2 3’s again the rest of the year. Clearly that was the emphasis for the defense as it will be many times this year, I imagine. The Maddoxeses are both very good 3-point shooters that got driven off the line tonight (to their credit, they made plays inside the arc), Wrightsell and San Antonio can shoot and didn’t get much space to do anything tonight. And Lee doesn’t shoot 3’s but shot 59% from the floor last year.

The game was pretty much as dialed up…tightly contested but ultimately pretty much controlled by SCU. CSF only had one tie or lead with the ball and it was at 18-17. Should be a good first game to learn from, I just hope it’s possible to learn to be quicker to the ball off the rim in 3 days, bc I’m not sure it is.

Rebounding and defense were rough. Take away second (and sometimes even third) chance points and (obviously) the score is quite different.

The silver lining is that the offense seemed to work better than in any season-opener I’ve seen in the Sendek era. Over the years, Sendek has in my opinion shown the ability to shore up the defense and make needed adjustments over the course of the season. The offense has long been the trouble spot. If the Broncos can put the ball in the basket, I have some hope for a good season.

1 Like

Good to get the win. Besides the returners, I liked how Pipes ran the offense and attacked on offense. Great to have a PG with great handles.

2 Likes

The WCC streaming service used to be a real asset for the conference but has gotten worse and worse each season since the first 1-2. They seem to have even dropped the Game of the Week format that would have Belluomini travelling around to do the color for the live feed.

It’s disappointing, especially given how easy it is to stream pretty much anything these days relative to when they started streaming all WCC games.

1 Like

Carlos Stewart’s high school had better streams than this. Not better commentary, definitely…definitely. But better stream quality. Definitely…definitely.

Nice win last night. I agree with everyone that our streams are embarrassing… And also like people were saying, our marketing of the program is depressing when you compare it to LMU, BYU, and the Zags. It seemed like most of the WCC schools had some sort of tip-off event or hype event and we didn’t. I saw Jalen Williams even commented about how he wished we had one.

Our marketing for other sports is also questionable. Both our Soccer teams were playing their WCC championship games and they only had a small sign outside Benson and some flyers advertising for people to come out (Jalen was also mad about this)…

It really wouldn’t cost much to add more production value and actual professionals to film and advertise for our programs. For example, whenever we have potential recruits come to visit, the photos they take in front of our wrinkled black backdrop is horrible quality. The photos seem to be taken by an outdated camera and little to no editing went into the pictures. Small things like this can turn off recruits if they have better options.

On a lighter note, I liked what I saw from the limited minutes from Carlos Stewart. He has great ball-handling skills and has a nice stroke. He also seems super fast based on the drive he got fouled on. The fact that he was the only freshman to see minutes last night has to speak for something. Exciting to see what he can do in his first year. On to Stanford! I’m hoping for a competitive fun game.

7 Likes

Maybe just hire Jalen for promotions. :slight_smile: He seems to have the right idea and attitude.

But seriously…there have to be some students looking to get project management experience. Give them a small budget, a few goals, and see what happens. Can’t be any worse.

4 Likes