Game 13: UC Irvine

Stewart had 29 points on 12 shots - is that some kind of Bronco record?

1 Like

Camaron Tongue did what made him the #6 player in New England and number 2 out of MA - he was a defensive menace. He kept UC Irvine off the boards and his biggest intangible (someone else noted) - he elevated the teams enthusiasm.

I think having no Cam option for San Jose State was felt. Cam has a way of inserting a spark into the games when he gets on the floor.

4 Likes

Great second half comeback! Stewart was amazing and only a sophomore. Other than SJS we have shown the ability to come from behind and win close games and last night we were able to pull away and put the game away. This should help us in league. I do think playing more guys to ease the fatigue factor will be important going forward. We. Need to be ready for each game and take no one lightly as the SJS game clearly showed as did the close wins over Portland State and Sac State. The potential is there. Go Broncos!!!

3 Likes

To reinforce my earlier point, and BballFemme’s post, look here at the box score:

Tongue only played 11 minutes and was a +15.

5 Likes

Knapper deserves some credit for intangibles, too. The box score isn’t as kind to him, but he was the primary ball-handler for almost 40% of the game and only had one turnover and two steals. I think that he has the potential to bring some offense in his own right. But I would love to watch him channel some Matt Hauser in the interim, who was quite good at probing the defense, prompting offensive movement around him, and avoiding turnovers.

6 Likes

Only 10 turnovers by Broncos versus an aggressive, active-hands defense is a remarkable improvement. Knapper certainly did his part.

1 Like

That was fun to see Stewart and Justice light it up from the outside. Any time you take a decent # of 3’s and drain 50% you’ve got to like your chances (against any opponent).
Honestly, I like SCU’s chances when Stewart and Justice take 26 shots…but we need Podziemski to get double digit shots every night too. If we could average 40+ combined attempts a night from that trio I’d expect good things.

Moments after typing this I thought to myself, those guys took a lot of shots vs. SJSU (I looked it up and they took 43 in that loss). I guess seeing the ball go in repeatedly can lead to dillusional thinking). Here’s to hoping they continue to drain shots.

1 Like