Game 3: Nevada

Need some scoring from Pipes in the 2nd half.
And somehow, someway the rebounding needs to be a wash instead of big deficit.

2 Likes

Really good run, upped the physicality level but the fouls are piling up. Some very touchy calls after a relatively foul free first half.

Still feel like for now it’s been worth it. Hopefully can get sustain the lead while backing off a bit.

Edit: or not. Back even. Sherfield is tough.

Edit again: it was definitely worth it. Even after getting back even. Nevada started getting impatient and frustrated, and the result has been bad misses, easy rebounds, and a possibly decisive run.

I remember thinking 14-8 for Braun was a bit aggressive. I have no idea how many rebounds he has, but he has been a force and is constantly in the right place on the floor on both ends. Great call.

Like what I see in the 2nd half… SCU is actually fun to watch.

3 Likes

Weirdly, the stream for me gets better as the Broncos get stronger. @getnashty you may want to inform the AD that there’s an observed correlation between a good stream and good basketball.

1 Like

Putting in the reserves in a game against Nevada is a quite good thing to see.

I think the poor feed is SCU’s issue. Other WCC team games on the network don’t have the same issue (also most have much better camera work, and more cameras working to catch the action)

So impressed. Everyone that played for the Broncos did something good. We move the ball better than any Bronco team since 2006-2007. Amazing how having a big that can catch and get off the floor so quickly can lead to lots of easy baskets.

3 Likes

Wow.

Nevada made 13 of 28 3’s – not something they’re going to do every game – and they still got run out of the gym.

And this marks the first time in a loooooong time since 3 straight SCU teams have started 3-0. Anyone care to guess how long?

Broncos have made Vegas look really, really bad the past 2 games.

Fun to watch. Pipes granted my wish with a better 2nd half.

Braun is doing what I hoped he would, sort of reprising Caruso’s role. He’s taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves, converting the easy shots at very high rate. More active and involved on offense the past 2 games, maybe a matter of gaining confidence and growing accustomed to new teammates. Plus 3 blocks for him.

One observation…it’s been a different guy in each of the 3 games with big scoring nights on highly efficient shooting, first Vrankic, then Pipes vs. Stanford now Braun. With Justice and Jalen steady and consistent in all 3 games.

And scoring 96 with only 4 from Vrankic is outstanding.

4 Likes

Byu 37 Oregon 18 at the moment.

IMO Braun is better than Caruso. His ability to defend on the switch is so useful, and on offense, he just does what he can do – no more, no less. Obviously there will be tougher games for him, but he knows his game and isn’t trying to do things that aren’t in his game.

Glad to see Bediako get untracked and have the good game I thought he could have against this team. Still frustrating at times, but he did a lot right on both ends.

2 Likes

Obviously, a super encouraging showing.

But even more encouraging I think is that Nevada made a lot of 3s, SCU shot decent but not great from 3 (10 of 26, 39%), and SCU blew them out. Outrebounded them, +5 on turnovers, dominated the paint in the 2nd half (17-23 inside the arc, +9 rebounding). 48-22 points in the paint on the game.

Incredible that Nevada scored the first 9 points. Obviously, SCU not fazed. I feel weirdly better about this game than the Stanford one, bc I don’t think SCU played over their heads, and if they played again, Nevada might be worse. They were well beaten.

I read previews saying things like “slow down offense, patient and wait for a good shot” and “runs shooters off the line and forces them to drive”. Neither of those were true tonight.

Someone needs to pick up the Capistrano games for TV. Those are going to be pretty good, I think.

3 Likes

I believe they’re listed as on CBS Sports Network

If they are, someone should tell the people updating the schedule page on the web site, because it shows radio only.

Hope you’re right.

You had me doubting my sanity for a little because I knew I saw it somewhere but it certainly isn’t on the schedule on the SCU webpage.

On my ESPN app, if I zip forward to those games, it does show CBSSN.

The event website also says so…!

1 Like

Good. Thanks for the info.

BTW

1 Like

My first game this year–in person or on 4th rate video feed–and was very pleased to see the spread of scoring, attacking the basket and moving the ball. Fun to watch, except maybe the 6min - 2min span in the 2nd half…a little loose and sloppy after the Broncos took a commanding lead.

I don’t believe they will be able to attack on interior that proficiently with bigger teams, and I can see how they will struggle in the same way on the defensive boards, but still, they look promising.

Hoping the home video feed improves b/c I will likely be away for the next two games.

On the video and, tangentially, the marketing topic…

I was talking with a seatmate and neither one of us is getting the weekly emails on Bronco athletics we used to. Anyone else getting them? I am old school and I’ve got no time for social media and people’s dancing cats. Prefer my updates in email.

So I checked the Bronco web site to see if the marketing team was blown up during Covid and it seems there are indeed 5 people in “communications” (one dedicated to hoops and golf), and one in marketing (specifically “external relations”). You would think they would still dedicate bandwidth to have a multi-channel marketing approach. But maybe not. Sigh.

I also noted that there is a “To Be Announced” Manager of Video Production on the communications team. Maybe that’s the issue with the crappy feed. No one there can figure out how to plug in an ethernet cable to a dedicated router.

So I went to the SCU job posting site (yeah, I had a little time on my hands this AM. Maybe I should have been looking at InstaTweet or FaceTok for Bronco updates, cats, my distant aunt’s most recent macrame project and tips on spatchcocking a turkey instead). I don’t see a job posting for a video stream savior, but I do see one for a Director of Sports Medicine, Director of Sports Performance, a Gardener, a Parking Control Officer and…a Life Drawing Model. Willingness to do nudity was not specified, but I assume “Nevernudes” need not apply.

4 Likes

Marketing SCU sports has long been a problem. It appears as though we don’t have an SID on staff. Our wins over Stanford and Nevada were not covered in the Mercury News nor was the women’s soccer team win over Stanford in the first round of the soccer tournament. Had Stanford one those games it would have been in the newspaper. Hopefully the Broncos keep up the good work and after enough wins will warrant more coverage. Like what I see so far.