Game 4: Cal Poly

Tip-off: Friday, 6pm

TV: WCCNetwork. Recommend all those viewing have their favorite adult beverage on-hond to soften the frustration of periodic video freeze-ups.

Line: Don’t see a line yet. ESPN has it 90% probability for a Bronco win. Torvik has the Broncos -17 and 94% win probability.

Broncos hot shooting has continued. Good news is it has been spread amongst the starting 5 with a different high point scorer each game. Rebounding was better vs. Nevada but there’s still room for improvement.

Cal Poly: They have not been good in recent years, sub-300 the last 4 years on Torvik. They are currently 1-2 with a win over non-D1 Westcliff (have no idea who they are or what division they are in, guessing low level NAIA); two close losses to N.Dakota St. and Sac St. Both of those games played in the 50’s so it appears they are playing grind-it-out, low possession basketball. Top two players appear to be returning 6-8 junior forward Alimamy Koroma (15pts, 5rebs / game) and grad transfer 6-4 guard Jacob Davison (14 pts/game). I’m familiar with Davison from his 4 years at Eastern Washington U…is a fairly dynamic player, attacks the basket and shoots the 3 ball OK. Was 1st team All-Big Sky in 2019/20 played through injuries in 2020/21. I suspect Jalen will get the defensive assignment to try to shut him down.

Prediction: Broncos 80-64. Broncos have to fight to play the game at their desired tempo and not Cal-Poly’s slow it up ball. Bench production was better vs. Nevada…hope to see that continue and grow.

Broncos keep it up with early shot clock offense from Pipes, JWilliams, Justice from the perimeter and to the rack. Josip keeps getting the ball facing the basket (where he can really make a huge difference for the whole team) and Braun finishes with 4 dunks.
SCU cruises 79-64

I’d love to see some more of Tomley, Stewart, and Tongue in this game. Broncos start a little slow, then cruise. 85-65. Tomley scores in double figures.

3 Likes

Anyone know the injury status of Holt?

Re-watched the Nevada game and forgot just how much Justice saved the team in the first 5 minutes.

These guys beat us in Leavey in 2017 and 2014… I know the disparity this year is much greater, but I always get leery when I see a big line in favor of the Broncos with a televised power conference game coming next.

That said, I think we’ve got em.

Current line: Broncos -15. O/U: 135.5.

So that’s like 75-60? Wow. Hammer the over. Weird that it’s actually been bumped down from 137.5 open.

Poly has a couple of close, low scoring losses, but still.

Agree. Vegas must be hedging given Poly penchant for low scoring games.

The Stanford game O/U was also oddly low as well at 137…blew that away with 160 pts.

Holt has hip issues…

I feel bad for Cal Poly Pomona alumni. The generic reference “Cal Poly” almost exclusively refers to S.L.O.

If this bronco team is for real, they beat SLO by 20.

72-52 to the good guys.

So, game just started. We’ve had those stationary cameras in the nosebleed forever. Move those 2 fixed cameras down lower, and just add 2 more for the floor. This isn’t difficult. As it is SCU looks like a high school in terms of video coverage.

2 Likes

Now issues with the feed… this is the heart of Silicon Valley… wtf?

2 Likes

Well we can’t hit a 3 yet still in complete control. Cal Poly is really bad.

So long as they keep firing the 3’s (all good looks) that’s all good by me. Shouldn’t stop shooting just because they aren’t falling.

2 Likes

Why no Josip tonight?

I believe I heard he was feeling under the weather.

I’m loving watching Carlos Stewart. Dude is tenacious and has lots of game.

1 Like

Two players have scored in this game for Cal Poly.

Whatever is going on with Pipes he needs to figure it out quickly, bc there are guys on the bench gunning for his playing time. He’s had 1 good game and is on his 3rd bad game.

Stewart has a lot to learn on the defensive end, but he’s a spark plug.