Podz and the NBA

Most of you prob heard on the telecast last night…16 pro scouts in attendance.

Podz picked a good time to have a very solid game across the board.

My best guess…he tests the NBA waters this off-season, gets some workouts and feedback from a number of NBA teams but returns to the Broncos for 2023/24.

11 Likes

If we should be so fortunate as to have back-to-back seasons with an NBA draft pick (which would involve the first and then second SCU players ever to leave early for the NBA), it would be frustrating not to have a trip to the dance to show for it.

14 Likes

Podz featured in the Merc

From what Podz indicates, JW’s success was a factor in his transfer. Hopefully he’ll be another draft pick and pay recruiting dividends down the road.

7 Likes

Makes sense. Guys see a path to the league and want the same for themselves. Hopefully the incoming transfer turnstiles @ SCU just keep rotating.

Podz is a first rounder (maybe this year, maybe next year) and I expect him to have a lengthy and notable career as a point guard in the NBA.

6 Likes

Podz with another WCC POW award. Well deserved.

3 Likes

When Podz is at his best, he reminds me a lot of Jalen Brunson’s days at Villanova. Never gets sped up. Plays at his own pace with good vision. Master of the euro step and floater. Comfortable posting up. Excellent shooter. Even has a similar shooting form (more than both being left handed.) There were serious doubts about Brunson’s athleticism and size which is why he went in the 2nd round, but now he is a borderline star. Brunson has more wiggle than Podz, but not as much size. As others have pointed out, the key with Podz will be whether he has NBA athleticism. NBA teams should be able to figure that out pretty quickly in workouts.

1 Like

BroncB, good eye - there are a lot of similarities between the two players. Brunson looks to have better handles which allows him to set up that killer crossover and he might be a little quicker. Podz has the step back 3 pointer (which he always seems to get off cleanly). I didn’t see Brunson play defense, but I didn’t watch the entire clip. Brunson likely has an advantage there with quickness, but Podz has more size. Also Podz is a tremendous rebounder. Bottom line- advantage Podz!

ESPN just released their Mock Draft for 2024 and have Podz going late first round. Jalen’s brother is #2 overall.

1 Like

Interesting…so this indicates that Podz is likely returning to SCU for his junior year.

Also interesting: I didn’t see any other WCC player on the list. I’m trying to think of who might be the top current sophomore/junior players in the conference outside of SCU…nothing comes to mind.

For comparison, I think I saw 2-3 WCC players projected as 1st rounders this year.

Presumably Mahaney or Timme will be WCC POY.

Been too long since SCU had one… Incidentally, John Bryant is the last WCC POY not from GU/BYU/SMC.

Those three, along with USF and SCU, have dominated. The last WCC POY from someone other than those five is Dana Jones from Pepp, 30 years ago.

Podz is certainly worth a mention this year, but could well win the award next year. Not a great reason to stick around if NBA is a legit option, but if he’s here next year, I hope its a banner year.

Someone at Illinois is probably really kicking themself.

(this all being a tangent response to bucket’s inquiry on other good WCC soph/juniors - Mahaney at SMC is a frosh, some good youngsters at Pepp).

Podz
GU - Timme and Strawther
Pepp - Jevon Porter and Maxwell Lewis
SMC - Mahaney

Those are the guys I think of currently w/ NBA draft potential…whether that’s this year or 2024 or 2025.

Then there are guys like Logan Johnson, Shabazz, Cam Shelton, GU’s Malachi Smith and Rasir Bolto; Houston Mallete and probably a few others who have solid to very good athleticism, have some traits the NBA may like (some are good shooters…Logan isn’t); but they would more likely be non-drafted, G-League types who are going to have to fight and claw there way up to the NBA.

Semi-related note…USF’s Jamaree Bouyea went undrafted last year, ended up in training camp with the Miami Heat. Ended up in the G-league. Was signed early this month to a 10-day contract with the Miami Heat. Is now back in the G-league. He’s a guy who I could see bouncing back and forth between G-league and NBA and may or may not stick for a full season at some point w/ an NBA team. Some of those names I mentioned above could be in the same boat.

Another recent WCC guy to note for context and comparison…Colby Ross. Put up big #'s in the WCC, had some pro chatter, some here thought he was a future NBA guy (I didn’t). He’s been in Europe, hasn’t played G-league. I think he’s played on some NBA summer leagues but not sure if he’s ever been in training camp with an NBA team.

1 Like

Can’t imagine anyone other than Timme is the WCC POY even if SMC finishes 1st…he’ll be an All-American (not sure 1st, 2nd, 3rd team), no one else in the WCC will be.

2 Likes

Strawther is a first rounder and so is Lewis. Once a few teams get to bring in Lewis for a workout I’m pretty certain he’ll move up to a lottery pick. Thankfully Pepperdine has no real idea how to utilize his talents.

Aside from these 2 Podz is the only other possible 1st rounder I see.

Mahaney will probably be ready in another season or two.

Timme is an awesome college player but much too slow for the NBA.

2 Likes

Yes, but Strawther and Lewis are 2023 draft prospects. The article was specifically a mock draft for 2024.

In the 2023 mock drafts I’ve seen, Podz is a mid-second rounder.

Mahaney needs a lot more meat on his bones, so he’ll be 2025 or 26.

Kessler Edwards recently signed with or was otherwise disposed to my Sacramento Kings… out of Pepperdine. Incidentally Doug Christie of Pepperdine is the color commentator and coach Mike Brown went to San Diego. During the Kings last period of sustained success, coach was Rick Adelman of LMU.

Romar has upgraded the talent level there but they haven’t seemed to translate that any results to speak of. Presumably a long leash.

I think there’s a decent chance that after they see him with other potential draft picks Podz ends up in the first round this year.

The selfish me wants to see him in a Bronco uniform for the next 2 years but my best guess thinks we’ll be lucky if we get to have him for even 1 more year.

1 Like

Also that article suggesting Bronny as a 2024 high pick is just ridiculous. Ive seen him in person a few times, and he’s not even a dominant HS player. Unless he grows like 9 inches and bulks up I don’t expect him to even do much at the D1 level.
Then again predicting a year from now seems kinda silly anyway.

2 Likes

From PODZ on Instagram

iab_podz

Verified

When I sit and look back at my journey, where I came from to where I am now, it brings me to tears knowing that I am becoming the person I’ve always wanted to be. I can’t thank God, my teammates, coaches and Santa Clara University enough for the unbelievable opportunity they blessed me with and I will forever be grateful for it

Sounds like a goodbye message - sad

2 Likes

it does…hopefully he goes high in the draft!

2 Likes

Eh, not definitive. Could just be an acknowledgement that he went from totally forgotten at Illinois to POY in the WCC and he’s happy he got that chance to do so. But maybe he’s gone.

4 Likes