WCC Game 1: Portland

Here we are again: a 5 foul differential? C’mon man.

You can tell this team wants to destroy Portland.

Alley oop up 22.

We’re shooting very 3 happy… and making most of them!

1 Like

I’ve always advocated us shooting more threes, I just hope this doesn’t tip the balance into relying on them in a game where we just need to get a bucket.

Small critiques on a great night.

Why didn’t the BYU fans hang around for our game? They can’t be out gambling and drinking…right?

3 Likes

Have to get ready for the day of rest.

1 Like

Fantastic night!..Monday should be fun. Go Broncos!!

1 Like

Great game plan and execution. Besides the obvious (J. Wiliams, Pipes, Justice, Vrankic), I thought Braun played really well in the second half. His best half in a long time.

1 Like

That has to end the silly narrative about SCU not deserving the 3, right? Right??? Jon Wilner, Will Maupin, what say you?

6 Likes

Maupin is such a hater… die hard Gonzaga fan cloaked as a wcc analyst

Good to see Vrankic drain some threes. That’s how he played early in the season when we were rolling.

That was our 2nd best defensive performance of the year. I hope we can bring that same intensity on defense tomorrow.

We now have the 5th best FG% from 3 in the entire country. (38.8%)

1 Like

I’m a Maupin defender. But the difference between Renee calling up the Portland AD and saying, “hey we don’t want to play yet another three-game week, so it’s off” and the Gonzaga/BYU/SMC ADs simply never even picking up the phone for Portland and Pacific and LMU is aesthetic, not substantive. You don’t get to say that SCU “wussed out” but claim that the other schools were acting out of some greater, more lofty and justifiable principle. Now if someone wanted to argue that USF should have gotten the 1 seed as a reward for playing all their games, I think I’d be more interested.

2 Likes

92bronc … actually a group of about 6 BYU coed’s did stick around and cheered for the broncos in the first half. Left just before midnight.

Would have loved to see more SCU faithful in the stands but we did have a good showing and even did some of the older Santa Clara cheers.

From 3 rows off the court my take was that the team was very locked in and focused. Have not seen that level of intense focus in any game this year.

Now let’s roll the dice and see if we can upset the Gaels!

9 Likes

If anything they look ready. Confident, assured, and expecting to win. Fun to watch last night.

Welcome kscu.

So 6 out of the ~ one to two thousand BYU fans in attendance for their game stuck around and for only half the game at that…lots of die-hard basketball fans.
I guess they were busy sulking and questioning how they couldn’t finish better than 5th in a league they were supposed to dominate.

Great game for the Broncs. Continue to click on offense, now have to keep it going vs. a strong SMC defense.

This Portland game worried me with the Pilots on a roll and a chip on their shoulder. In my game preview I noted some potential matchup challenges for our defense and matchup advantages on offense. In the end our offensive matchup advantages won the day. The Pilots don’t have anyone who’s a good fit to guard Jalen. And they didn’t have an answer for Vrankic in the post…they tried to double team him but that just played in to our hands opening up opportunities for others and forcing their defense to scramble and recover. Vrankic passed out of pressure well (5 assists just 2 turnovers).

2 Likes

to be fair, the second half didn’t really start until just before midnight

It is interesting how a team like the Pilots can perform exceedingly well against the likes of USF, yet struggle against us.

And, to be fair to the Pilots, their starters were exhausted. The night before, 4 players went 39 minutes, and 1 went 35 minutes.

I love that Jalen took Moses Wood apart. Outside, off the drive anytime, anywhere. A statement and big Bronco lift. He and Vrankic took away any remaining fight Portland had and both our guys were grinning at each other as they made shot after shot….
Fun stuff to watch.

8 Likes

I sensed a little extra defensive intensity focused on Moses Wood. They weren’t going to let that guy beat them. He had 9 points on lots of shots.

1 Like