WCC Game 10: @ USF

Cam said the crowd support really uplifted them and it was a fun game to play in.

10 Likes

6am tip here in Tanzania
 got to watch a little action!!!

Go broncos!

1 Like

Great effort. I do think we are at our best with Tilly & Cam in there, but Bediako responded tonight which was huge.

Now onto taking care of business on Thursday.

4 Likes

Great Bronco win and good to see continued progress of Tilly & Tounge (and a solid game by Knapper to give Stewart and Podz a breather). Tilly give us good active length and Cam brings high level aggressiveness that spills over to the whole team. His monster dunk was text book.

One question. Has anyone ever seen a foul called in the second half on a foul allegedly committed in the first half? How can you have a foul with no whistle and no stoppage of play? What if Roberts had hit that 1st half buzzer beater - would that bucket have been waived off at the start of the second half??

3 Likes

Letsgo’- that was certainly strange.
But, I think it was called a flagrant foul and the refs are allowed to review the video for flagrant foul situations at the ‘next’ dead ball. In this case the next dead ball occurred at half time. The teams were probably already in the locker room by the time they decided it was a foul so just waited until they returned for the 2nd half to shoot the FT’s. An oddity created by the timing just before half time.
I was a little annoyed but it balanced out considering we benefitted from the earlier tech on USF’s Hawthorne for trash talk with our bench
I don’t encourage trash talking but seemed like a marginal call considering the added energy/intensity of the rivalry, etc., and I’m betting our bench said something before or while he took the shot.

1 Like

Thanks 92, that makes sense. And I justified it the same way at the time as a “make up” of the Hawthorne call.

1 Like

A bit more post-mortem

• FT’s helped and mattered: 82% (18/22) for the Broncos compared to 63% (15/24) for USF
we don’t impact how well the other team shoots so a little good fortune; Zane Meeks, who’s a decent FT shooter at 74% struggled at 3/8.
  • Overall we played solid, no glaring flaws but the 3pt D was still mediocre, 11/32, 34%. Giving up 11 3’sis too much, and we left Shabazz and Roberts too much space or miscommunicated on ball screen coverage on several occasions
still lots of room for improvement.
  • Rim protection and challenging shots in the key by our bigs was excellent. 5 blocked shots isn’t eye popping but we altered and challenged a lot of shots and that contributed to USF shooting just 34% on 2pt shot attempts.
  • Related to the above, we took advantage of our size advantage in the post
something we haven’t done consistently (ie- Pacific). We’ll have a similar size advantage in nearly all of our remaining 6 WCC games (USD x2, LMU and Portland, to a lesser degree BYU). We need to commit to dominating inside; while Podz/Stewart/Justice lead the way in scoring we need our bigs to chip in with their share pts, win the rebounding battle and provide the rim protection we saw vs. USF.
6 Likes

THIS. There was a point where we were up 26-13, and USF knocked down 3 straight 3-pt shots
really irked me! It felt like things were slipping away. I was impressed that the boys didn’t let the tidal wave sweep through and wash them out. Huge props to Carlos for constantly ATTACKING, never letting USF D get comfortable.

But we gotta defend the 3 better, or were gonna get LMU’d again.

2 Likes

Femme, that back door cut and dunk had to be one of the top 5 Bronco basketball plays this season. The setup, back cut, pass and finish were all perfect. Do you know if the Broncos have a sign for the receiver to flash to initiate the back door cut? I’ve played with guys who do that, and it works - mostly because it allows the passer and receiver to really set up the receiver’s defender with a big ball fake - then, boom, hard cut back door. of course, if such a sign exists, don’t describe it here!

1 Like

The dunk by Cam was truly a momentum booster and our crowd was great. I sure hope he stays at SCU. Always good to beat the Dons. I thought our aggressive board play was nice to see. As for our three point defense, USF takes a lot of threes and if they are hitting them they are hard to beat, if they are off then they are beatable. They made a lot but their percentage was around 30% so I can’t be to harsh on our guys D. Now the test is to follow the win up with two more this week at home. If the team can take the energy they had last night the rest of the way we should be ok. Though as I have often said, take no one for granted, the league is better from top to bottom than it has been in a long time.

1 Like

Good to get out of War Memorial with a W. The offense looks energized again. Good to see Bediako getting back to what we expect of him. Stewart at hyperspeed? Yes, more please.

Onward and upward.

1 Like

When you give up almost 10 - 3’s a game and we make 7 and opponents make 40% of their threes it’s apparent our D on threes isn’t getting it done.
Going under high ball screens with no double and leaving a big on an opponent guard they just make us pay ( Pacific/St. Mary’s).
I guess we’re “hoping” opponents will have a bad night.
Not a strong game plan- but hasn’t changed even vs USF.

2 Likes

True. The D was no different last night. That said I don’t think Sendek is capable of changing. Perhaps he doesn’t understand the math
 1/3 from beyond the arc achieves the same output as 50% inside the arc.
We saw what happened when UOP knocked down 3’s.

This is savage. Retroactively adding a point to SCU’s total (so that the Broncos actually won by 14) feels like twisting the knife a little: