WCC Game 10: @ USF

Tip-off: 7pm, War Memorial Gym
TV: ESPNU
Line: Torvik- Dons -5, 68% win probability; ESPN- Dons -3, 65% win prob.

USF:
15-10 on the season, 4-6 in the WCC, coming off a 9pt loss at SMC. Prior to that had been on 3 game win streak including wins over Pacific and BYU.
They’ve jumped ahead of the Broncos on Torvik, now ranked 80th to the Broncos 90. On NET, Broncos are ranked 93rd, USF 107.

Starters / top rotation guys and stats:

• 6-0 pt guard Khalil Shabazz (15.4pts, 5.5 rebs, 3.1 assists, 2 steals, 32% from 3)
  • 5-11 guard Tyrell Roberts (15.2 pts, 40% from 3)
  • 6-9 forward Zane Meeks (12.3 pts, 5.8 rebs, 32% from 3)
  • 6-8 forward Josh Kunen (5pts, 3.6 rebs, 43% from 3)
  • 6-8 wing Isaiah Hawthorne (7pts, 3.2 rebs, 40% from)
  • 6th Man: 6-2 guard Marcus Williams (7pts, 2.6 assists, 44% from 3)
    A new wrinkle in their lineup: 6-7, 238lb sophomore forward Ndwedo Newbury has entered the rotation and played their last 4 games after not playing this season prior to that and only played garbage time minutes last season. In those 4 games, he’s averaged 6pts, 4.3 rebs and has made a few 3’s while playing ~22mins / game.

3pt defense will be critical for the Broncos, USF is 4th in the nation in 3pt rate, and 70th in 3pt shooting % at ~36%. All of their starters plus 6th man Marcus Williams can shoot the 3. And their overall eFG% is 40th in the country. They live and die by the 3.
Though their starting lineup doesn’t include any true posts or anyone over 6-8 and their guards are very small, they are still a good defensive rebounding team, ranked 46th on Torvik.

We will have a size advantage on the wings with Podz and Justice especially when the Dons go to their 3guard lineup of Shabazz, Roberts and Williams…none of them are over 6-2. I hope we find a way to take advantage of this, ie- get Justice some touches in the post, same with Podz or run sets where they can catch at 12-15ft and back their guy down.

Related to the discussion in the GU game thread, I hope Herb doesn’t hesitate to go to Tilly and Tongue if Bediako in particular struggles. And given the size and perimeter skill set of USF’s starting bigs, this would be a good time to use Braun and Tongue together.

Prediction: Broncos prevail in a shootout, 84-80.

Hoping Bronco alumni turn out in force. Wish I could make it; lot’s of fond memories of raucous crowds and games @ USF in the 90’s and early 00’s.

4 Likes

Biggest game of the year for multiplie reasons:

• hope the alumni in attendance give a big boost to a team that’s on a bad streak
  • a season sweep of Usf would be great. I consider them our biggest rival and would most likely guarantee we finish ahead of them.

We need to get back on right track, and the goal should be 6-1 down the stretch.

6 Likes

A must win in reality. The only acceptable loss would be to BYU since its there. I think 6-1 and some wins in the tournament are our only chances for another NIT berth. Chronicle had story on NCAAs and for that to happen we would have to go 7-0 and make the finals in the tournament. I agree with comments on Tilly and Tongue. We need some aggressive D and rebounding as well as points inside the paint. USF is good, we have to be better tonight. They like to shoot the three so we need to defend it. I do like the progress we are making in becoming more relevant. We need some wins over quality teams and tonight would help.

4 Likes

I am headed up with a couple of homies and my in laws. One is a USF alum. Boo.

3 Likes

Current line down to Dons -2.

Really dislike USF. Hoping for a good outcome tonight against a lot of Santa Clara fans. 78-74 Santa Clara.

1 Like

This board is prophetic…Tilly and Tongue enter, in just a few minutes, 4 pts and block from Tilly, a thunderous dunk and 1 from Tongue plus some rebounds by each.

It’s not that hard…

4 Likes

Midwest with the cameo on tv. Looks like a good section tonight!

2 Likes

Wait YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!!?!?

2 Likes

Other WCC games…Pepp gets off the schneid with a double OT win over Portland…helps us, Portland was lurking just a half game behind us.

Solid 1st half for the Broncos, great production from the bench. Just have to stay on Shabazz and Roberts and can’t let them go off from 3.

2 Likes

Bediako looking like he read the board and wants to prove me wrong. Love it.

6 Likes

I hope so! He has been flatlined for awhile now. Good to see him doing what he should be doing. I think our bigs are making a BIG impact tonight.

4 Likes

Jaden had to see he was in jeopardy of losing more PT…you either wilt under the pressure or step up…glad he appears to be doing the later so far.

3 Likes

Nice team win. Everyone contributed.

6 Likes

Always love a win over USF!

And USD just helped us out upsetting LMU. Good WCC night for us on top of our win.

4 Likes

4th through 8th in our league is starting to look like 4th through 11th in the NBA western conference…everyone in striking distance

1 Like

Great jobs Broncos! The support section of Bronco fans behind our bench looked awesome. I know the players must have appreciated it.

Also, for amusement, go watch the Portland/Pepperdine final 20 seconds of Overtime. It is perhaps the most bizarre ending to a college basketball game I have ever seen. About 10 different things happened.

7 Likes

You have Bragging rights.

1 Like

Great win! Loved how the guys competed tonight

3 Likes

Voice is gone but my thumbs still work.

We absolutely attacked this game. Outrebounded them 46-32. Made a higher ft and 3pt %.

Everytime we needed a stop we got one and seemed to build on it and accelerate down the court.

I’m obviously biased but I wish we could play at Usf every game. Electric atmosphere and hopefully we can build on it.

7 Likes