WCC Game 15: Pepperdine

Tip-off: Thurs., 7pm @ Leavey
TV: WCCNetwork
Line: Torvik- -13.5, 87% win probability; ESPN- 87% win probability, no line yet.

Pepperdine:
9-19 overall, 2-12 in the WCC. They’re playing better of late, coming off a relatively close/competitive loss vs. GU, won games vs. Portland and BYU the week before last.
Top Players:
6-7 sophomore wing Maxwell Lewis (17.7pts, 5.7rebs, 3assists, 35% from 3)
6-5 sophomore guard Houston Mallete (13.7pts, 4rebs, 2.6assists, 35% from 3)
6-11 freshman forward Jevon Porter (12.1pts, 7.2rebs, 1block, 35% fro m 3)
6-2 sophomore pt guard Mike Mitchell (11.4pts, 4rebs, 4.9assists, 44% from 3)
6-10 sophomore center Carson Basham (7.5pts, 4.4rebs)
Rotation is rounded out by forward Jan Zidek (good shooter, not an athlete), freshman forward Jan Pitre, and freshman guard Malik Moore.

As you can see, the Waves are extremely young…has to be the youngest playing rotation in the WCC and one of the youngest in all of the NCAA’s.

Porter has steadily improved, his scoring in the WCC is up to ~14pts/game and has become a 3pt threat.

The waves are fairly long and athletic, but aren’t very physical and are prone to being bullied. Defense (across the board) and rebounding are weaknesses. They’ve been inconsistent shooting 3’s but all starters except Barsham are 3pt threats, an area where they could go off and simply outscore you.

For the Broncos…we need to continue to play with the energy and effort we’ve displayed of late. And the more balanced production including contributions from the bench of late have been significant…hope that continues.

Prediction: Broncos prevail in a high scoring affair but don’t cover the spread, 85-78.

4 Likes

Agreed…the line is not indicative of how improved the Waves are at this point, so I doubt we cover.

Final score prediction:

SCU 88 - 79 Pepp

1 Like

Current line: Broncos -11. Makes more senses than Torvik’s -13.5 but still feels a little high.

I don’t bet often but if I did and wasn’t a Bronco fan I’d take Pepperdine to cover. Hope I’m wrong and the Broncos win by 20+.

Broncos prevail but get a fight from Pepp in an exciting display of offense.
92-90

I’ll take the other side of that one because why not. If Santa Clara is going to win and win big, it will require a lot of production from the forwards. That group has made big strides this season, so I’m hopeful that they can use their size and strength advantages throughout.

86-66 Santa Clara Braun and Tilly combine for 30 points. Keyshawn gets 23 with 11 coming from the foul line.

1 Like

I don’t tend to make predictions but a random aside - Pepperdine has a super cool, old school announcer who has been calling games forever, who knows how much longer he will be doing it. His name is Al Epstein.

Worth scouring the pepp website for a feed just a for a few minutes.

1 Like

PMac, I think efficient production from Tilly, Tongue and Braun is the key for Broncos beating any good teams. We also need to minimize Bediakos dropped passes, travels, turnovers and other empty possessions. Our defense isn’t that good, but we generally rebound well and prevent second chances. Our best defense is a good offense. Even good teams won’t be able to keep up.

2 Likes

Go Cam and Carlos! First subpar offensive half from Podz in a long time (still great work on the boards) but glad some others guys stepped up.

1 Like

Cam Tongue coming out party. 10 pts and 5 boards in 7 minutes of play. No fouls or turnovers. Let Cam play!

Pretty predictable Pepperdine, honestly. They can light it up and make ridiculously athletic shots. Just keep grinding them down and play hard-nosed defense. Get second chance points off of offensive boards (again, let Cam play!). Broncos will be alright.

1 Like

Just 7 total 1st half pts from Justice and Podz…get those two going in the 2nd half and we should be OK.

Just can’t let Lewis or Mallete go off.

LET CAM (and Tilly) PLAY!!!

4 Likes

Tilly is special and Cam earns everything he gets. What a young duo we have.

“Off night” for Podz but he’s still playing aggressive on the boards and finding teammates open.

How beautiful is it when Carlos gets a steal, his first step in transition is explosive!

Keep this run going and get it to double digits

4 Likes

I don’t think Tilly has played enough to make the all frosh team. Which is fine. Keep him a secret for next season. The sky is the limit with Tilly and Tongue playing like this for 20 min each per game.

4 Likes

When is the last time a Bronco guard had 18 rebounds??

1 Like

Great second half all around.

1 Like

Patty-
With that late Pepp 3, I have you didn’t take the Broncos at -11 to cover :).
Maybe make ESPN’s Bad Beats???

1 Like

Definitely a bad beat :joy:

1 Like

No real bets for me. But I did sigh a little for all the Vegas gamblers when that one went up.

It was a great encapsulation of Pepperdine under Romar: a smooth shot that hits only net but is ultimately futile outside of Caesars sports book.

1 Like

Wow, what an entertaining second half. Loved that we actually got Braun rolling to the hoop for some easy buckets, rather than forcing a post up. Seeing Tilly, Tongue, and Knapper blossom at the same time is awesome. The second half from Podz was as good as any he has played all season.

2 Likes

This was quite the two minutes.

2 Likes