WCC Game 16: @USD

Tip-off: Saturday, 7pm @ Jenny Craig Pavilion
TV: WCCNetwork
Line: Torvik- Broncos -5, 67% win probability; ESPN- 67% win prob, no line yet.

USD:
11-18 overall, 4-11 in the WCC, coming off a blow-out loss @ GU and have lost 4 in a row.
Top Players:

• 6-6 forward Marcellus Earlington (17.6 pts, 6.9rebs, 37% from 3)
  • 6-4 Jase Townsend (15.3pts, 2.6 assists, 39% from 3)
  • 6-3 Seikou Sisoho Jawara (11.3pts, 3assists, 38% from 3)

UofO transfer forward and one of the top rebounders in the league, Eric Williams Jr., has been out hurt for several weeks, I assume he’ll be out Saturday. USD starting lineup has been a revolving door for most of league play with Earlington the only constant. Expect to see several other guards play aside from Townsend and Jawara.

USD is a bit like Pepperdine…they score plenty but do not defend or rebound well at all; in particular they have a horrible eFG% (last in the WCC and ~360th overall on Torvik).

USD often plays a 3 guard lineup and their guards aren’t long. Justice and Podz should have a height advantage and shouldn’t have trouble getting their shots off. And a good opportunity to get those two a post touch or two and just let them go to work over shorter guys.

And with Williams likely out, USD’s already poor rebounding suffers…the Broncos should kill them on the glass as they did vs. Pepp.

Hoping to see the energy and effort continue with contributions from a wide range of guys. Would love to see us bury USD early and let Holt and Akametu get plenty of run.

Prediction: The good times continue for the Broncos, 87-72.

4 Likes

SCU 89 - 72 USD

Carlos goes off in this one

2 Likes

Anyone else going to tonight’s game at the Slim Gym?

Don’t forget that Lavin’s crew had a pretty good lead on SCU a few weeks ago. Like Pepperdine, they have a good amount of offensive firepower. But they have (slightly) more cohesion and maturity than Pepp. I think Santa Clara gets this and would love for Portland-esque domination from wire to wire. But I think USD gives another (brief) scare and keeps it closer than we’d like.

76-71 Broncos. Tongue continues his arrival tour with 10 and 7 boards.

3 Likes

I would love for SCU to come out guns ablaze like Gonzaga did in their revenge game against LMU.

I am! In town for some family stuff and will peel away. Where should we meet up?

Anyone have a link to the stream? I can’t get it to work…

Yes, having trouble finding the feed

found something:

2 Likes

Nor can I find it. Bleacher report ticker has it 5 minutes in and Broncos by 5

Works. Thank you very much!

Yes, thank you!!! works for me.

Had similar issues for thursdays game too. WCC sports needs to get their act together.

1 Like

I finally got in on WCC. 6:46 to go. Looks awful with a score of 24-11? Low scoring game.

Cam picking up where he left off last game. Active and confident. 7 quick points and got a team rebound on offense when the USD player fouled him while Cam was going for an offensive rebound.

2 Likes

Former USD Coach Brad Holland (94-07)at the game. Wish I could see a thought bubble above his head for what he was thinking watching USD play that first half.

Braun, Tongue and Tilly all played really well down low. We are just bigger, faster, and more athletic than USD inside.

1 Like

Solid first half…I don’t think any of us expected to be up 20 on the road at the half. Let’s keep our foot on the gas in the second half!

Like our work on the glass, especially Braun which bodes well entering conference tournament. Tongue and Tilly law firm…both solid off the bench.

Podz…his consistent work on the glass has been a revelation.

GO BRONCOS!!

2 Likes

Good to hear. I missed it all. I saw him go in for a couple minutes and come out again.

Thought bubble for Brad Holland …“Gosh those nachos look good”
Brad had pretty much checked out his final 3-4 seasons @ USD. That he barely gave a crap back then I can assure you he has no feelings concerning USD hoops these days.

Ha. Funny. Holland did apparently mail it in after his really good 2002-2003 team.

Forgot that Bill Grier went to the tournament in his first year at USD. Crazy stat. San Diego has not finished over .500 in the WCC since Grier’s tournament team in 07-08.