WCC Game 3: @ Pepperdine

Nice game, but we left a lot of points at the free throw line

1 Like

Good win. As others have mentioned, won the game on the offensive glass.

Crazy that I thought we were just getting a spot up shooter with Podz and he is out there making passes that are similar to the ones I recall Nash making in college. This pass ahead to Braun, and the 3/4 court pass to a slashing Tongue in the first half really stood out. Braun, Tongue, and Tilly can all run the court for bigs and we should be able to steal a few buckets like this every game.

3 Likes

Did Justice have the main assignment on Lewis? Lewis ended up shooting just 35%. Pretty good effort there.

2 Likes

Thank Gods for Podz. What a game! Clearly the best player on the floor tonight.

7 Likes

Good win, needed to be 2-2 going into Gonzaga who almost lost to Usf tonight.

Iā€™m here to say we need more Tilly over Holt in the rotation.

2 Likes

Podz is just phenomenal. Tilly at least needs to be part of the equation as he can be quite valuable.

I just wish Herb let the kids play agressive contact defense (more SMC style, less no touch). Fouls are a good thing if you know how to use them and even more so if you can do it without getting a whistle blown.

3 Likes

Podzā€¦donā€™t know that heā€™s a future lottery pick or if he has an NBA future at all.
But for college hoops he has the ā€˜Itā€™ factor that canā€™t be coached, you either have it or you donā€™tā€¦yes, heā€™s an above avg. but not elite athlete, very skilled with a broad offensive repertoire but more importantly he has the combination of confidence, mental and physical toughness, competitiveness, leadership, courage, no fear of failure and is willing to put the team on his back and try to carry them to victory.

5 Likes

Iā€™d say he could be draftedā€¦he has so many dimensions to his gameā€¦not only a prolific and creative scorer, but also rebounds and dishes dimesā€¦great court vision (we saw that multiple times last night). Heā€™s kinda like a better-shooting Russell Westbrook (in terms of double/triple double potential). If he can get a little bit thicker I think he could be a fine NBA guard. Will be fun to watch his progress over the next couple of years!

3 Likes

Tilly vs. Holtā€¦tough call.
At this point they have different skill sets and strengths/weaknesses. Holt is physically stronger and probably a better rebounder and post defender. Tilly is more skilled offensively and is fairly mobile, coordinated and agile for a 7 footer.
Donā€™t know if Bediako will take advantage of free COVID year and return for a 5th season in 2023/24 but even if he doesnā€™t the 5 spot will still be in good shape. Plus we have another center on the wayā€¦2023 recruit, 6-10 260lb Luke McEldon.

1 Like

I donā€™t disagree, I certainly hope Podz does get there somedayā€¦maybe after getting the Broncos back to the tourney :). Itā€™s just that the depth of talent at guard is significant and thereā€™s a very thin line between who makes it and who doesnā€™t at the NBA level.

Nigel Williams-Goss, BYUā€™s Collingsworth and Hawes brothers, Alex Barcello, Peppā€™s Colby Rossā€¦lots of great and talented WCC talent that never truly made it in the NBA or havenā€™t made it yet. (Williams-Goss played like 10games 3 seasons agoā€¦Iā€™m talking truly making it, sticking on a roster for a year+).

1 Like

I love Holtā€™s hustle, but he looks like he is in slow motion when heā€™s trying to back down an opponent. Also, he commits far too many traveling violations. Tilly has much better footwork than Holt, and he has a nice little hook shot with his long arms.

1 Like

Podz will make a fine POINT GUARD in the NBA.

Iā€™m not sure he is a point guardā€¦I think heā€™d be a great combo guard because he is SO good without the ball. The guy is constantly running around the front court trying to get open.

3 Likes

Not sure Podz has the quickness to be an NBA point guardā€¦heā€™s no Ja Morant.
See him more as playmaking 2guard if he can knock down 3ā€™s the way you need to in the NBA.

3 Likes

His competitive spirit and ability to probe a defense without getting sped up remind me of Dellavedova from his time at St. Maryā€™s. Dellavedova was the master of the cross court pass. Would give the nod to Dellavedova as a defender but Podz is more versatile on the offensive end. No idea what Podz ceiling is but does seem like a guy who will force his way on to an NBA court someday. This pass shown below is just ridiculous.

1 Like

Really makes you wonder what was going on at Illinois with Podz? This guy has very few flaws in his game - how did the coach let him slip away? Or maybe Podz worked with someone who tweaked his game? Maybe that was Herb? Of course I never saw him play last year (nobody did), but it would be interesting to understand his remarkable turnaround.

Nothing was necessarily going on. Illinois started a backcourt of three 5th year seniors last year and had multiple talented 6-5/6-6 wings come off the bench. There was just nowhere for Podz to fit into the lineup at the time. I did see him play sparingly in some of those games - notably a Northwestern game in which he had 7 points and helped provide a spark in a 3 point win. Had he stuck around, Iā€™m sure heā€™d be getting very good minutes this year based on the way Illinois games have been currently playing out. Heā€™s also worked his butt off to get to this point - and thatā€™s credit to him, his coaches, and trainers.