WCC Game 7: vs. Pepperdine

I like his aggressive nature, but that was a foul on Cam…. Also he got away with one on a push off rebound.
That said SCU needs more of Cam’s physical play.

4 Likes

I agree, it was a foul, but I’m totally fine with it. Pepperdine was getting way too comfortable on defense.

3 Likes

I am cool with the foul - I am not cool with Cam being benched for it. We NEED to be tougher.

5 Likes

Yes. THAT is where Cam definitely needs to be smarter. He needs to not push off on the rebounds.

Herb heard you, I suppose.

Awful start, but a 40-17 run from there.

3 Likes

Pretty decent last 15 minutes of the half after spotting Pepp a 13-0 start.

3 Likes

Ensminger hustles on both ends of the court. He was instrumental IMO in giving the Broncos a real spark. He moves well without the ball offensively, good passer, help defender, will fight for loose balls, etc…

2 Likes

Much better. Just having a few guys pick up full court after we got down seemed to raise the energy level. Would prefer we start the game that way. Caffaro was awesome on defense. Knapper might not be a pure point but he has good feel for when to shoot and when to drive. Plays fearless. Bal had some big time moves and Ensminger is becoming a reliable glue guy.

4 Likes

15-0, actually, so, yeah, glad we actually woke up…

3 Likes

First 8 mins Pepp was playing with the most defensive energy and pressure I’ve seen under a Romar coached Pepp team. But they couldn’t sustain that effort and the remaining 12mins you saw the real Pepp emerge with weaker D and Broncos got free for easier shots.
Also helps that Porter and Mallete often settle for 3’s or low % shots…led to some runouts on long rebounds.

And kudos to Caffaro with some strong D…simply walled up, took the contact, stayed tall and disrupted or blocked several shots without being overly aggressive and fouling.

4 Likes

Caffaro is playing really well defensively against Porter.

2 Likes

Can I get a share of his salary?

2 Likes

Ensminger is the player of the game so far.

2 Likes

That alley-oop to Bryan (started with the rebound by Tilly in the corner of our defensive baseline) was the best passing sequence I’ve seen all year. Seriously, Herb should show that sequence to the team each practice over and over and over.

3 Likes

Romar certainly is able to recruit. I allowed my mind a moment to dream of some of his players on the SCU roster!

But seriously, how many of Romar’s guys are gonna transfer? I can’t imagine Mallete is happy playing on a perpetually losing program.

Yes, Ensminger is doing outstanding. I think the spark to this game was elsewhere.

2 Likes

Since the days of Evan Roquemore, a Santa Clara Bronco going for a tomahawk dunk has never been a good idea, with the possible exception of one Jalen Williams.

4 Likes

Watching Caffaro roll his ankle there reminds me to ask this question: why are so many players wearing low tops these days?

1 Like

femme- you know what’s up with Akametu? Injured or redshirting? Hasn’t played since Duquesne, pre-Christmas.

He injured his hand over break and needed surgery. Will they let him redshirt if he has played? I know they let Carlos - so hoping the same for Akametu.

Update: redshirt.

1 Like