Game 6: Fresno St. @ So Cal Challenge

OK, here is my take on the Fresno St game…

1st, Fresno St played great physical defense and with the Refs not calling fouls like they should, it played right into there hands. SCU played good defense too and have been most of the year for the initial positions. We just have to continue to limit the 2nd and 3rd shot tries.

JW is solid and I like his game with maybe one exception that he has gotten away with early and that’s the drive and kick outs. You have Pipes and Keyshawn who can shot well so some kicks out would make his drives easier and stop him from having to go up against 2 and 3 guys. I know it hurts not have Josip because he helps that and will keep the big honest too. In this game, forced some and to his credit, he has done that all year and gotten away with it but against better teams, it will not work and in most cases go against us.

Keyshawn was maybe a little nervous early with some misses that I think the shot blocking ability of Freshno St kinda spooked him but he battled. The biggest thing is he is having to work so hard on the defensive rebounding that I may alter his offense some depending on who we playing.

Pipes played good but can do more especially on the defensive end with gambling for some steals and help defense. He got caught with a couple late back doors on defense late in the shot clock that hurt us and one even caused JW to get a foul. On offense, the kid can shoot and makes good decisions and they need to recognize that getting him 3 or 4 shoots is will do wonders when he feeling it. He doesn’t force a lot so the coaches have to identify and call his number like they do for JW and Josic and that’s the reason why JW forced so many because he feel he has too when they call his number.

Carlos and G Williams has ability but a number of holes and they were exposed against a good Freshno St defense. Both have issues with dribbling per say unless they attacking the rim. So early in the 1st when Herb had Carlos and G Williams in against that defense, it was a mistake and he put them in a position to fail. They can’t see the floor and they hesitate to make a pass to the open guy. They stall the swing to good shooters and mainly because they not ready yet. Whenever, I see either pushing the break, I don’t feel good and it hasn’t turned out good all year for the most part. Not the end of the world but coaches has to know this by now and if not, the season will not go as great as it could.

Parker and Bediako are playing as good as they could given the situation. Bediako played really good except a couple bad fouls against a good player. He battled and keeps a number of rebounds alive etc… Parker too had a big assignment and outside of the bad passes for turnovers he too was over matched but played well enough to keep them honest. Parker just needs to make a couple threes and that would free up the middle for JW, Pipes and Justice to attack and not have to worry about the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense. Also, when they attack and 2nd and 3rd level comes over, that should be an offensive put back for us but it hasn’t happened much.

All in all, I’m not to concerned except, I hope the coaches see the same thing and learn from this game as it could help them a lot going forward and I think we want really know maybe until the Boise game.

5 Likes

Solid take Panther, nothing to disagree with.

3 Likes