Game 8: Hawaii

I actually thought we could have just cleared out for Jalen every single play. He was 13-18 from the floor . Other guys did a nice job of not trying to force it. Justice was real good in the second half.

1 Like

Only place we should lose him to is the NBA Draft.

1 Like

Wow, J Williams determined to bounce back from an off game and boy did he. AT 61-47, he was responsible by score or assist for 39 points. Justice came on scoring-wise late (he was good in other aspects all game), but for the most part it was as simple as SCU had J Williams, and Hawaii didn’t.

That’s why at this level finding not only talented players but developable and coachable players is important.

4 days before the next game and I think it’s needed for some. Then another tough game. Lofton just went 36 and 17 against an ACC opponent.

Hawaii will win some games, especially at home.

No question he’s good enough. It’s just a matter of where his heart is.

His brother committing to SCU would be the best insurance possible.

Patty- Agree on Tomley. He missed his shots tonight but is maybe a little rusty after not much PT of late. Tomley plays smart, doesn’t turn it over and if/when he gets more steady PT we’ll see his 3ptrs start to drop, has a very good stroke.
Will be interesting to see how PT shakes out amongst Stewart, Giordan and Tomley going forward.

2 Likes

Well if Pipes isn’t going to shoot, that might help him a lot bc someone that can make them needs to.

Why do you say that?

I was half joking about the NIL deal, but guys are “moving up” frequently. Tahj, Feagin are good examples.

If we’re being REALLY honest… Brownridge probably should have done it too.

Program is in a way better place right now though.

Because moving up to the NBA is better than moving up to a Power 5.

Got it. Alright… I can roll with that!

Cheers!

We need to find someone to play 8-10 minutes. Tomley should get an opportunity here. Hopefully he can take advantage.

1 Like

It was amusing when Hawaii attacked Tomley on defense his first two possessions of the second half…and they ended up just being two horrific possessions for Hawaii. Completely took them out of their flow. Guy had the height advantage on Tomley and turned and airballed it.

No, you getting it wrong. Pipes is the decoy because his guy isn’t helping or leaving him. Look at how much JW and Justice can drive because his guy doesn’t leave him.

Every team will not have the same game plan and when Vrankic is back it will be different because Vrankic will be the one at the top setting the picks.

That’s 2 game with no 3 attempts because his guy not leaving him and the ball doesn’t swing good enough. He starting the breaks with passes up the floor and getting others good looks that Keyshawn is benefiting from. This all good but you have to see how his presence is doing for the others.

JW did the same thing the last two games except this game it was 1 on 1 vs 1 on 3. Having respectable shooters does wonders for him and others. Tomley is a good shooter but also took advantage of them thinking he wouldn’t put the ball on the floor. That’s what defense does when a guy comes in the game that wasn’t on the chart for them and I’m glad he took advantage and drove the ball.

Great win and on to the next one…

5 Likes

I don’t buy it, quite simply. He’s tentative a lot and doesn’t hunt his shot enough. Eventually it wasn’t necessary but in the first 15 minutes, really could have used him. And he was absent. I think Sendek wanted to sit him down for a bit at around 10 minutes but Stewart couldn’t be trusted so he didn’t stay out very long and presumably was hoping for a better rest of the half from Pipes.

My guess is Pipes’ legs are struggling. He played high minutes last year but at a much slower tempo. SCU is averaging 4 possession per game more than GB did last year, and they’re playing better competition.

If Pipes doesn’t shoot the 3, then you pretty much have 1 3-point shooter on the court most of the time – Justice. Braun will take one every so often, and J Williams will take a couple but it’s not really the best part of his game. And Pipes isn’t a great finisher in the lane. So when he drives, you want him to take a contested shot if you’re the defense. And there aren’t a lot of dangerous kickouts available in this lineup.

So he has. to. shoot. Otherwise he might as well be Carlyle.

LOL it’s funny to see everyone pile likes on you just bc you’re not me.

I forget how many people simply don’t know what they’re talking about here.

Solid 2nd half…JW really has a nice mid range game from 8-12ft, a beautiful touch and his court vision and quick hands are positive attributes to his overall game. Justice played well. Bediako had some nice moments, and it was nice to see Tomley’s PT extended. Yes, his shots didn’t go down including a drive to the bucket, but I truly believe he will be a major contributor at some point this season. I don’t know what to make of Giordan Williams game, as he seems lost at times in the flow of the offense and nothing remarkable stands out aside from being able to knock down the three as a stand and shoot. He just doesn’t seem to have the quickness and strength to create IMO. That being said and to focus on the positive, he has had some solid moments such as at GU last year, and against TCU. I know we will need him this year. Lastly, anybody have thoughts on the other two freshmen…BK & Holt. Redshirt year for either/both? I would expect to see Holt of the two, due to being thin in the front court.

Good to see something resembling the offense SCU had against Stanford, Nevada, TCU in the second half. You can’t go East-West when your opponent’s man D is overplaying the perimeter. It’s pretty basic. Get the ball to the guy you feel has the biggest advantage 1 on 1 and let him go.
Bewildering that it took Sendek 2 1/2 games to dial that up. It means lots of heavy lifting for JWilliams (as we haven’t seen much anybody else peneterate) but he can handle it. Hopefully the second half ended the offensive woes for the Broncos.

You never miss a chance to criticize the coach. Never.

Did you ever think that sometimes you don’t have that massive 1 v 1 advantage against an opponent? UC Irvine has been a really good defensive team for a decade. There might be a reason or two for that. And Fresno has a potential NBA big man, and well, SCU’s preseason top 3 bigs might not be playing. So, you know, that just might matter.

Knives. Sharpened. You were probably giddy at halftime and disappointed that it turned around.

1 Like

GW didn’t help his cause with that open court dribbling turnover and was yanked immediately. Tomley, with his quick release and good range, has an opportunity, but hasn’t quite found his role in the offense. His first shot after a long stretch of not playing was curious- an extra long 3 point brick. I liked the drive, even though it rolled out.

You never miss a chance to excuse Sendek’s shortcomings. He’s the coach. The blame rests on his shoulders.
Quit crying already Noob.

1 Like

betterer, save yourself the heartache. The ignore function on this site works well.

Blame for what? Winning? Incremental improvement?

You do realize SCU won by double figures last night?