Keshawn Justice to return to SCU for 1 more year!

Posted: Mar 25, 2022

SANTA CLARA, Calif. - It’s official. Santa Clara men’s basketball senior forward Keshawn Justice will take advantage of his final year of eligibility and return to the Broncos for the 2022-23 season. The Madison, Wis., native is coming off his best season in the red and white in which he earned second team All-WCC honors.

“This is just a tremendous day for Santa Clara University,” head coach Herb Sendek said. “Keshawn is a phenomenal student-athlete on and off the court, and we are so excited to have him for one more season. He proved this season that he is among the best players in the conference, and his role as both a leader and playmaker was so massive in our success this past season. We fully expect him to continue to be that type of player for us in 2022-23, and, again, we are just so excited to have him back.”

Justice’s banner year saw the senior sharpshooter become one of the premier 3-point shooters in the league, finishing the season sixth in the WCC in 3-point percentage (42.3) and third with 2.3 3-pointers per game. He had 23 games with multiple 3-pointers including nine games with four or more, including a season-high five triples against Pacific. Overall he averaged 13.0 points (16th in WCC) and 2.2 assists per game.

Not only was Justice among the best shooters, but he also solidified himself as one of the top rebounders in the league, pulling down 6.7 boards per game to lead the Broncos and rank sixth in the WCC. The bulk of those rebounds came on the defensive end with his 6.27 defensive boards per game ranking second in the league and 34th nationally. Justice secured eight double-doubles on the year, good for fourth-most in the league.

Justice became the 36th player in program history to reach 1,000 career points midway through the year and currently has 1,180 after four years with the Broncos.

9 Likes

Wow. Huge news. Good start to the off-season.

8 Likes

Thrilled. He’s a great player and person and, from what my very-online-ness would indicate, has a family that loves SCU. He should be a preseason all-WCC pick along with Jalen.

7 Likes

We think Jalen is back with this news?

2 Likes

Not getting hopes… but a good start

Great to see Justice back. He’s a heck of a player and no reason why he can’t score 20+ a night next season.

Jalen’s choice should depend almost entirely on where he is going in the draft… if he’s a 1st round lock, adios (as he should not come back). I suspect he’s a late second rounder in which case he should take 1 more year to become a first rounder/lottery pick.
It’s going to depend greatly on his workouts I would imagine.

3 Likes

I agree. My thinking was this:

Justice might not be as inlined to return if he thinks Jalen is hitting the portal. Seems like there is a decent chance it’s NBA or a return for Jalen.

Thrilled to have Keshawn back.

1 Like

Agree, outstanding news…even better on Friday afternoon heading in to the weekend.
Takes the pressure off at least 1 potential hole to fill.

I’ve stated this before but kudos again to Keyshawn for really elevating his game this season. Improved from 3 in both makes and %.
And just as important, a substantial improvement in rebounding. Rebounding rates were 2nd on the team behind Bediako and ahead of Vrankic and improved ~30% over 2020/21 and ~60% over his Fresh/Soph years…huge leap forward for him.

Jalen…we’ll see, trying not to get my hopes up. If he gets positive feedback for a 1st round selection then he should go. Would obviously be great for him and some positive publicity for the program partly mitigating his loss. I just don’t want him to transfer…that would be worst case scenario for us.

2 Likes

Thaw those hopes out. Wasn’t it like 70 degrees in Chicago last week? :wink:

My username is a bit outdated been west coast for quite a few years :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great news both on the court and off. Keshawn sounds like a fine young man and the type of kid we want representing our alma mater.

2 Likes

This is such great news: Justice for all and Justice for the Broncos! He is a person and player who makes us all proud and I think he more than merits preseason All WCC. Knowing that he is here will bring others on board.

2 Likes