NCAA Turnover Rankings

Yes, that’s it! He was the coach when our Nash-led Broncos beat Maryland in the opening round of the tournament in 1996. I’ll never forget that very talented Terrapins team, with a player with one of the greatest names ever, X-Ray Hipp.

Edit: Though his name sounds like “X-Ray” when spoken out loud, it is indeed spelled “Exree”

1 Like

I agree with this. But I’m also ambivalent about it mattering. Sports are replete with big sideline personalities who can’t coach to save their lives. But Tony Dungy won a Super Bowl.

When you’re down and you’re hoping for a comeback, I think it feels good as a fan to feel like the coach’s halftime speech is what turned the game around. But I think that might be more about the narratives we impose on sports than the reality. Herb has shown the willingness to get a tech and get into with officials.

When KK kicked and broke the scorer’s table, it was seen as petulant because his teams were bad. If Herb won the WCC, he would be seen as cerebral and a genius Xs and Os coach. I don’t know that there’s a correlation with the actual results whether a coach is firey or more passive (it would be impossible to measure in any sense). It just affects the narrative that gets laid on top of those results.

4 Likes

oh man those numbers are eye bleaching. Going to need to cash in at Las Vegas (yes I know shocking revelation)

careful, someone might start a new TikTok trend, ala TidePodding

i may have started that trend already after a few games this year unfortunately

1 Like

Key right here. Herb is making more adjustments than years prior - but yes, not soon enough. As soon as opposing team has gone three unanswered baskets - it’s time to make adjustments.

On a Warriors team prone to turnovers, rookie Brandin Podziemski is the first NBA player in 44 years to play more than 130 minutes over a 4gm span and record at least 25 assists w/o a turnover.
He’s at 27/0 over 136 minutes.

— Monte Poole (@MontePooleNBCS) February 8, 2024
8 Likes