Stewart, Braun & Bediako

Awesome for him. I’ve been watching his games when on tv. He’s really active on defense and just has more confidence. He used to get happy feet when he had the ball down low. That doesn’t seem to be the case anymore and he just goes strong to the basket.

4 Likes

Super happy for him, but why wasn’t he practicing his free throws at Santa Clara??

6 Likes

Happy for JB, improvement is often not linear and guys do have breakthroughs/breakouts…glad it’s happening for JB.
Big guys in particular can take longer to develop…some never do.

That said, as LetsGo asks, why wasn’t FT shooting improvement a bigger priority while at SCU.

And this is kind of an eyebrow raiser: “I’ve never been in the gym this much,” he said. …ummm, why not?

3 Likes

I think it just depends on the player. Some players are in the gym constantly, some need to be pushed into doing it, some actually take every day off that they can. I still remember seeing select players in at the Malley fitness center during the offseason. Obviously their schedules will vary, but you knew which players loved the grind. Brandon Clark and Nici Gilday come to mind from when I was there. It wasn’t a surprise to see them play overseas; they were constantly grinding.

4 Likes

Being from the East Coast and having a kid grow up playing East Coast ball this is SO ON PAR! It has backfired going from East to West - but happy for JB it benefits going West to East.

1 Like

hmmmmmm… wonder what, if anything Herb had him doing in terms of basketball at SCU?

1 Like

Nash and Jake Sedlock had the key to the gym and were there into the morning hours, practicing specific moves over and over again. I also saw Podz there by himself practicing all the moves that took him to the NBA. Not too difficult to predict who might have a possible great run in basketball.

3 Likes

With the Athletic Excellence Center, this should only be easier since there are fewer scheduling issues that would prevent players from getting shots up and working on moves in their own time. Hopefully the guys are taking advantage of it.

1 Like

Stewart was ready to leave after his freshman season. Herb had to fly down to Baton Rouge to personally recruit him to comeback.
The allure of all that NIL money from LSU was too much to pass up a second time.

4 Likes

You’re thinking of Shaquille Walters. He left SCU during the season cuz his father was murdered back in London.
Came back to the States & had a nice lil career at Northeastern. Playing in Europe now I believe

2 Likes

I can vouch that those guys are in the gym A LOT. I’d say the entire team takes it on themselves to put up extra shots all the time. I know Cam stays with Ludwig after every practice for an additional 30-45 minutes of work. He also goes in for extra lifts and gets shots up every day (above and beyond practice). I know on Sundays when they are off, most of them are in the gym getting shots up.