Transfer Portal targets

Just going to share recent transfer portal news here

1 Like
1 Like

One must imagine we are an attractive spot to land given a good track record with Podz, a recent high pick in Williams, and I think what can be counterintuitively attractive: a somewhat off-the-radar spot to work on one’s game with a well known coach and fewer distractions.

2 Likes

If we get the right two guys and Podz returns, I think NCAA aspirations are not too far fetched.

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused…we already have 2 new guys coming in (McEldon and Hammond), do we actually have room for any transfers?

Guys will leave. . Just the reality of today’s CBB scene.

Justice, Carlos Marshall, WIlliams all have moved on we’ve heard, right?

Podz could be gone.

Justice is definitely out of eligibility.
Marshall cold theoretically request (and I would think would be granted) a medical redshirt since he only played a couple of games; have no idea if he plans to do so and 'Femme (and maybe others) have said he’s planning on moving on. Still on the team as far as I know and has been on the bench so I guess things could change and he could stick around.
Giordan- been here four years but still 2 years of eligibility remaining given the free COVID season and sitting out this year. Sounds like from 'Femme and others that he’s also planning on leaving.
So at least 1 spot available beyond the 2 incoming frosh we have signed. And as 'hoops5 notes, others are bound or likely to leave…I’ll wait until we’re done playing games before I speculate on who that may be.

Starting a thread dedicated to possible inbound transfers where SCU is reportedly in the running…

3 Likes

Savrasov…started his career at Texas Tech, then 3 seasons at GA Southern.

36% from 3; just under 3 attempts per game, but that’s his high…32% for career. If he can legitimately play the 3 and step in for Justice then I’m interested, if he’s more of a 4 then I’m less excited unless someone like Braun is considering not returning.

1 Like
3 Likes

O’Neil is a 6-9, 200lb forward.
Listed as a junior this past season but with the free COVID year I suspect he has 2 years of eligibility remaining.
Appears to be a solid 3pt threat, 39% this past season and for his career on a fair number of attempts (over 5/game this past season).
Overall stats: 11.3pts/game, 6.6 rebounds, 1.7 blocks.

Strikes me as a slightly smaller Parker Braun who can shoot the 3; appears he mostly played the 4 for American. Maybe our staff thinks he can play the 3??? But makes me wonder about our overall frontcourt roster and whether someone else is leaving.

7 Likes

Video of O’Neil.

3 Likes

Looks like an excellent pickup. Evan Miya (the newest of the college basketball analytics sites and one that I’m a bit more dubious of) has him (or had him recently) as the #80 transfer portal target in the country.

Seems like exactly what 92 ordered with a true big (defensive rebounding is impressive) that can actually stretch the floor and be a threat from outside. That should help open up the middle a bit for the rest of the bigs and get a little more front court offense / easier drives for the guards.

3 Likes

I’m guessing he will get most of his time at the 4. Needed someone in our front court who can stretch the floor a bit more. I really like the addition

Agree. He will be a great match with Cam/Tilly.

3 Likes

Looks impressive and I almost see him as a 3 to replace Keyshawn. Having O’Neil, tongue, Tilly on the floor at the same time would be a nice frontline - could you imagine a zone with that length?!

3 Likes

keep dreaming – pigs will fly before HS calls a zone D

3 Likes

American was 352nd in Adjusted Offensive Tempo, so they played extremely slow on offensive (similar tempo to SMC or Viriginia). Santa Clara was 43rd. That alone should allow him to get up at least a similar number of 3 point attempts next year even if his usage rate goes down now that he will be on a much better team.

O’Neil is primarily a face the basket long range shooter on offense. He had 12 dunks but other than that his number of Close 2’s were similar to Keshawn. For comparison, Bediako and Braun had 93 and 112 Close 2 attempts, while O’Neil had only 65.

As a 39% 3 pt shooter on 153 attempts, I hope we see O’Neil firing away as much as possible from beyond the arc next season.

7 Likes