WCC Game 1: USF

We need to get folks out for this game Saturday. Invite a friend, invite 5 friends. If not in the area, tell people in the area to go. The guys deserve to play in front of a home environment! I’ll be there, and will be doing some ‘cruitin to get others to join me

5 Likes

Two games with two team wins. Thats how to do it!!!

3 Likes

Midwest…i understand your angst w/ Braun, agree there are those 2 to 3 headscratcher plays/decisions he makes each game that have you wondering what he’s thinking. But beyond those, he’s otherwise a reasonably high IQ player. And he has very good coordination, agility, quickness and hops for 6-10 guy.

Related note…I liked the lineup late in the game where Braun and Tongue were on the court together as the two forwards/posts. Gives us the most post athleticism, and great off/def transition ability that we can put on the court at the post spots. Neither are perfect and Tongue is still growing in his skill and consistency but those two have physical gifts that allow them to make certain plays and do some things that Bediako, Holt and Tilly simply can’t.

Example: the near lob and dunk off the Podz penetration and lob to Tongue late in the game. The pass was a little high and long but would have been Sportscenter Top 10 if Tongue threw it down. Fortunately, Braun cleaned up the miss. Bediako and Holt couldn’t attempt that play.

7 Likes

You’re right Bets, 100% baller - a guy who will lace ‘‘em up anytime, anywhere. When they get up on him defensively, he just goes a little deeper into his bag of tricks. So fun to watch!

2 Likes

Away game event for @USF on 2/4 has been finalized:

Hoping to get a massive and raucous crowd for it.

2 Likes

Dons nearly had the Zags last night, instead are staring at a 0-3 WCC hole.

To those that can attend - have an anchor steam and cheer extra hard for me!

2 Likes

USF had the lead nearly the entire game (roughly 39 minutes). Brutal loss.

Yep, upset of GU could have negated the bad USD loss and pulled them out of the hole they’re in. They play LMU Saturday in what is almost a must win for USF otherwise they drop to 0-4 and hopes of a 3rd/4th place finish and NIT level season are gone.

3 Likes

Now that we’ve guaranteed no worse than getting out at 2-2 this week, then I think we are in decent shape for the rest of conference play. 11-5 would get us to 24-8 on the season (excluding the non-D1 game we won against Menlo).

I watched LMU play against BYU last night. They reminded me of Stoudamire’s Pacific teams–very tough and bruising but with more talent. Leaupepe is a load, much like Eli Scott before him. And even Cam Shelton is a tougher player than his size would suggest. Issanza is a true 7-footer who, though not extremely quick or coordinated, does make it difficult to drive inside.

It’s very possible that USF could drop to 0-4, which would all but take them out of the hunt for 3rd or even 4th. I’m glad that Santa Clara only gets the Lions at SCU this year. I sincerely think that SCU is better, but much like Stoudamire’s UOP squads, LMU can make the game hard and ugly to get an advantage.

4 Likes

Agree on the Lions…I think the other big differences for them this season compared to last season are:

1. they now have some legitimate size in the post with transfers 7footer Issanza and 6-8 Michael Graham…Graham didn’t play much vs. BYU but had been starting recently ahead of Issanza. Last season they had no one in the front court bigger than the 6-7 Mirkviladze who isn’t a banger and is more of perimeter guy and most of the time they had only 6-6 Leaupepe and 6-5 Scott on the floor surrounded by guards/wings…it really hurt their post D and rebounding and had little to no rim protection.

2. They have more 3pt shooting threats with Shelton and transfer wing Ahrens and are taking a lot more 3’s and making them at an OK rate.