WCC Game 14: @ Portland

Agree, if we’re ever going to win the WCC tourney, this is the year. We’re on a roll, as long we play decent next week we’ll head in to the tourney with some momentum and confidence.
And both SMC and GU are beatable, that’s rarely been the case.

3 Likes

Honestly would say about a 10% chance, which I would gladly take

2 Likes

Yes. A tourney win and the NCAA automatic bid goes with it. I like the way the Broncos are playing.

1 Like

LMU is losing to Pacific at home right now.
Down 81-72 with 4:30 on the clock.
Closed up to a 2 pt game with less than 2 mins.
Oops, up by 1 with 41 seconds.
LMU up 89-88 with 0.02 secs
LMU with the WIN 90-88

1 Like

LMU has only one game left I believe, so we’ve got 3rd place locked up, right? The best they can finish is 9-7, the worst we can finish is 9-7, and we have the head-to-head tiebreaker.

3 Likes

That’s correct Buckets.

2 Likes

Any updates on Podz head injury? Hopefully not a concussion. Did not return to the game but I did see him come back to the bench.

2 Likes

Are we going to do all this to finish 3rd just to draw a 6th seeded BYU in round one?

I believe 7 plays 10 and 8 plays 9. 5 plays winner of 8-9 and 6 plays 7-10 winner. Then 3 and 4 play winners not sure if it goes by seed or not in case of upsets so not necessarily BYU.

There is no reseeding between rounds

Can we talk about how well Tilly runs the floor for a 7 footer? 90% of College 7 footers are not making it back past half court on this play after running all the way down to the rim at the other side. And while his first pass was ugh, the second one more than made up for it.

3 Likes

I get how you’d expect that, and it seems most logical that SCU’s first WCC Tourney opponent might be BYU (although the 6th seed is very much up for grab right now), but I have a different team advancing to face SCU in the tourney.

I know they’ve only won 2 games in the WCC so far, but I think there’s more than a decent chance that SCU draws Pepperdine in the tournament. Seems nuts, I know, but they are finally playing some real basketball. I think the Thurs matchup at home vs Pepp wil be an espically good game, and be a precursor to our first matchup in Vegas.

2 Likes

He does run well for a 7 footer… can we address the issue (in my opinion) with this sequence… why on Earth would you have the 7 footer touch the ball 25 feet from the basket? It’s not like he’s a threat to shoot from there (never even looks at the basket), he not a threat to dribble drive from there, and then the passing, well you can see for yourself.

I don’t blame Tilly. It’s Sendek. It’s just ridiculious to have the big in that area, ever.

1 Like

I very much agree with you here.

We see it often in these tourneys, the young talented underperforming teams still have something to prove. I like Pepperdine to string a couple games together.

Blockquote
I know they’ve only won 2 games in the WCC so far, but I think there’s more than a decent chance that SCU draws Pepperdine in the tournament. Seems nuts, I know, but they are finally playing some real basketball. I think the Thurs matchup at home vs Pepp wil be an espically good game, and be a precursor to our first matchup in Vegas.

Bettererer- You’re stealing my thunder for the Thurs. pre-game thread :).
But agree, Pepp is playing much better of late, wins over Portland and BYU a week ago. And they played GU tough last night, GU’s lead was down to 1 pt with under 4mins remaining; the final margin of 9 was a bit misleading.

Pepp is extremely young…all 5 starters are true frosh/soph…no redshirts or extra ‘COVID’ years, plus two more true freshman off the bench in their 8man rotation. They now have nearly a season under their belt together. They are skilled, long and athletic at most spots…just young and inexperienced and prone to some poor decisions and lapses in focus.

And they still don’t defend…but I put that more on Romar. His teams, whether at UW or Pepp are never known for their defense, schemes are vanilla and effort is so-so. Given Pepp’s length and athleticism, including decent frontcourt size, they should defend and rebound better.

Bottom line…if Pepp shows up Thurs. and gives decent effort the game won’t be a cakewalk.

3 Likes

Didn’t see the game (limited streaming at my home in the sticks) but wow! SCU came out ready to play and just stuffed them. What an impressive week on the road, not only winning but doing so handily in both contests.

True, this is far from BYU’s finest squad, but I can’t remember a better road week, and with a 5-game winning streak in conference this team is playing as well as it has all season. This team has a real shot in the WCC tournament, and I don’t think I’ve thought that since 2007 and DD’s last team.

2 Likes

RonReis-
I believe the game video is archived on WCCNetwork. If you’re interested and have time, I recommend checking it out…you can fast forward and get through it in less than hour :).

It’s maybe the best our offense has looked all season, good player and ball movement and fairly balanced contributions from most of the lineup. At least 5+ dunks from Braun, Tongue, Stewart (Tilly may have had one as well)… still count as 2 pts but illustrates the quality/easy shots our offense was generating. Aided of course by Portland’s subpar defense (Saint Mary’s they are not) of course, but regardless, fun to watch.

2 Likes

Per Torvik, SCU’s top five performances have been GA Southern, Boise State, at USF, at BYU, and at Portland.

That 3 of our top 5 performances this season are from the last 5 games and all away from Leavey is exactly where you want to be heading toward Vegas and the postseason.

4 Likes