22-23 non-conference schedule

Haha, they make it sound like it was a FOIA request…

It honestly may have been. Likely not FOIA but the CA Public Records Act. I know a lot of college athletics outlets are often making records requests on things like coach salaries, etc. Scheduling contracts are just taking it to the next level. I’m pretty much positive that NIL deals will start getting obtained and pored over for public institutions.

Edit: Presumably only NIL deals with the university itself (not sure how many of these there are given the greater level of funding restrictions) would be accessible through a records request unless there are some disclosure rules for outside deals that nevertheless get packaged with athletic scholarships and university-provided benefits. My guess is that most of the big deals are off the university books but who really knows at this point.

Wow. I guess this kind of scrutiny is warranted given how college athletics is now such a scandalously enormous business.

Boooooooooooo. C’mon, WCC. Have a little backbone.

2 Likes

Wonder if BYU still has voting rights on league matters after they’ve announced their departure???
May be easier to get league agreement on everyone playing each other twice once BYU departs.

This is about the WCC keeping Gonzaga happy IMO

1 Like

They will be leaving no matter what. Either pac12 or big east will start calling soon

2 Likes

Stealing ‘92’s template:

-Nov. 7th vs. EWU (home)
-Nov. 18th vs. DePaul (Bahamas)
-Nov. 20th vs. OK State or UCF (Bahamas)
-Nov. 26th vs Iona (Las Vegas)
-Nov. 30th vs. Wyoming (Salt Lake CC)
-Dec. 13th vs Portland St. (home)
-Dec. 18th vs Cal (home)
-Dec. 22nd vs. Boise St. (home)

Wonder if the team will be on a road trip from the 18th-30th of November? Maybe one or two more games somewhere along the way there?

I’m guessing an additional cal poly/sjsu game in early December and/or after Christmas.

1 Like

I’m guessing that the first full week in December is finals week, so coaches may try to limit any game play during that time.

1 Like

a Nov 28 game against UU/USU/UVU/WeberSt would make sense.

Buckets-
Add Southern Utah and Dixie St. to your list of potential Utah schools…plenty of options.

That said, given the several neutral site games they may focus on adding home games. That speaks to focusing on SJSU, Cal Poly plus maybe other Big West or Big Sky schools, potentially a non-D1 and/or a random low level school from across the country for a guarantee game.

Utah State or Weber State would be good additions to this schedule. There’s about 7 games remaining. If we slot in both SJSU and Cal Poly, that brings us down to 5. Then I’d love one more Pac-12 squad and a fairly solid mid-major (like Utah State). Do what you will with the other 3, though I always prefer a low-level D1 team to a D2 or NAIA exhibition.

Last season was my favorite OOC schedule since I became a Bronco, so I hope they just use that as a template going forward.

I get what you are saying about adding more home games, I only mention those schools because Vegas to Utah is a relatively short trip. There will be roughly 96 hours between the Nov 26 game in Vegas and the Nov 30 game in SLC, so I’d guess that if they DON’T schedule a game in between on the 28th, then they’ll likely go back to SCU from Vegas and then back out again to SLC. That seems like unnecessary extra travel, especially after the long trip back the week before from the Bahamas.

Now that the Pac-12 is imploding, perhaps Herb can convince the Utes to commit to a game?

Patty- I hear you on the low level D1 vs. D2, however, I believe non-D1 games are simply omitted from most advanced team ratings (ie- RPI…not sure on NET) whereas a very low level D1 can actually drag down your metrics, strength of schedule, etc.
Kind of splitting hairs and wouldn’t matter if in the end you have a mediocre, .500-ish season but when you think of last season and how many WCC were on the NCAA bubble or NIT level it could make a difference.

Understood and agree Buckets. I’m not advocating for home games over away, just recognizing the approach Sendek has employed in scheduling…very few true non-con ‘Away’ games, just 1 last season I believe (Boise St.) and maybe 2 the previous full season in 2019/20.
A game @ Utah would be great IMO even if there’s no return game @ SCU. A game @ Utah St. would be good as well but should be able to negotiate a return home game with them.

I would love a game against UVU, if only to watch Maddog coach against Herb. Talk about two very different coaches!

I believe we have San Jose State on December 10.