22-23 non-conference schedule

Considering w/ had UCI at home last season, interesting weā€™re playing them again at home rather than @Irvine. Iā€™d be surprised if we had enough clout with UCI to avoid a home-home arrangement. For instance, UCI is better/stronger than CalPoly yet weā€™ve played away games @SLO. Maybe a schedule logistical issue driving the location???

Schedule is gradually rounding in to shape:
-Nov. 7th vs. EWU (home)
-Nov. 18th vs. DePaul (Bahamas)
-Nov. 20th vs. OK State or UCF (Bahamas)
-Nov. 26th vs Iona (Las Vegas)
-Nov. 30th vs. Wyoming (Salt Lake CC)
-Dec. 10th vs. SJSU (home)
-Dec. 13th vs Portland St. (home)
-Dec. 15th vs. UCIrvine (home)
-Dec. 18th vs Cal (home)
-Dec. 22nd vs. Boise St. (home)

4 to 5 more to add: As previously noted, likely that CalPoly ends up in there somewhere, another 1 or 2 BigWest , WAC or BigSky team(s). Then maybe a couple low end teams, either sub-D1 or a random SWAC type school on a West Coast swing of ā€˜buyā€™ games.

If someone like Seattle, Denver or CalBaptist end up the schedule it could signal behind the scenes WCC talks on a future addition to the WCC.

5 Likes

Itā€™s not a horrible pre-conference slate. It would be nice to see one ā€œmarqueeā€ (or is it marquis?) opponent before WCC play, perhaps OK State would fit the bill if the Bahamas tourney plays out accordingly. Iā€™d still like to see a D-1 state of Utah game on Nov. 28, but I wonā€™t hold my breath.

The late rapper Biz Markie might offer a 3rd option. In any event, no matter how you spell it, youā€™re right. There needs to be one marquis game outside of WCC play.

So happy for JWil, but with his departure it seems like this small group of SCU hoops followers is fine with settling on 5th place in the WCC and .500 overall record for the upcoming season, which has me kind of dreading the 2022-23 campaign (usually Iā€™m not this pessamistic until at least game 10 or so).

ā€¦I thought we played Louisiana Tech this past year so we can play them in the upcoming season? Carlos Stewartā€™s backyardā€¦

Interestingā€¦I hadnā€™t heard and didnā€™t make the connection but makes some sense. But no reason a home-home agreement has to be done in back to back seasonsā€¦could delay the return trip to LA for when Stewart is a junior.

And someone posted here a month or two ago that Carlos was on crutches. I havenā€™t heard how serious that injury is so who knows if heā€™ll be 100% ready to go by Nov/Dec.

1 Like

I thought it was Carlos Marshall and not Carlos Stewart who was on crutches, no?

Regarding the schedule, Iā€™d be happy to get any of Stanford/USC/Wazzu on the schedule again, presumably as an away game. Or maybe we play Utah in SLC. I donā€™t need a marquee matchup exactly. One more high major opponent would make me happy and, I think, give a very good schedule overall. DePaul, (potentially OK State), Iona, Wyoming, Irvine, Cal, and Boise State are all respectable and/or challenging opponents. Put one more high major in that category, and Iā€™m happy. One high major and one solid mid-major (say, like Murray State, GCU, or Fresno State), and Iā€™ll be thrilled.

1 Like

See Scocos8ā€™s post in the ā€˜Roster Cast Toolā€¦ā€™ thread, says it was Stewart on crutches. No other infoā€¦whatever caused Stewart to be on crutches, hopefully it was minor and heā€™ll be ready to go by November.

Re: scheduleā€¦agree would be nice to see one high level, top 40 or 50 type team. Weā€™ll see.

Oh good pull, 92. Thanks for the clarification.

The fact that weā€™re a game or two away from a schedule that would actually be satisfactory + the slate we played last year is such an improvement over the preceding decade.

3 Likes

so true, nasty, so true

Stewart was on crutches back in May. I have no idea why, but I do know heā€™s practicing now. Giordan was also on crutches after the season, and heā€™s also practicing again. I donā€™t know if theyā€™re both fully cleared, but they are practicing.

Unrelated, but was this team doing an international tour before school starts? I canā€™t recall where I saw that, but I was under the impression theyā€™d be overseas this summer. Can anyone confirm?

1 Like

Great news on Carlos Stewart. Yes. According to Jeff Goodman, Santa Clara is touring Spain and France, August 19 - 30.

2 Likes

Eh, thereā€™s the buy game that we figured was going to happen. Georgia Southern was #253 in Torvik at the end of last season. So comparable to the worst WCC team in a given year, usually.

Iā€™m hoping still for one more Pac-12 level opponent.

Updated:
-Nov. 7th vs. EWU (home)
-Nov. 10th vs Georgia Southern (home)
-Nov. 14th-ish??? Game tbd???
-Nov. 18th vs. DePaul (Bahamas)
-Nov. 20th vs. OK State or UCF (Bahamas)
-Nov. 26th vs Iona (Las Vegas)
-Nov. 30th vs. Wyoming (Salt Lake CC)
-Dec. 3rd-ish??? Game(s) tbd???
-Dec. 10th vs. SJSU (home)
-Dec. 13th vs Portland St. (home)
-Dec. 15th vs. UCIrvine (home)
-Dec. 18th vs Cal (home)
-Dec. 22nd vs. Boise St. (home)

Maybe two more games left to be announced? Finals for fall qtr dec 5-9.

Wcc scheduled (announced last week)

• dec. 29th vs Usf
  • dec. 31st vs smc
  • Jan. 5th at pepp
  • Jan 7th vs Gonz
  • Jan 14th at pac
  • Jan 19th vs byu
  • Jan 21st at smc
  • Jan 28th vs pac
  • Feb 2nd at gonz
  • Feb 4th at Usf
  • Feb 9th vs usd
  • Feb 11th vs lmu
  • Feb 16th at byu
  • Feb 18th at port
  • Feb 23rd vs pepp
  • Feb 25th at usd

A couple of interesting things:

• 3 huge home games before students return on Jan 9th
  • tough road trip at gonz at usf back to back
  • could be needing to make up a lot of ground in the back half of the schedule.
1 Like

WCC Schedule: Yes, bummer that the SMC and USF home games are prior to school being back in session; going to be light crowds and not much home advantage for those, especially Dec. 31st vs. SMC. 1st 4 games will be tough, may be an underdog on the road vs. Pepp Jan. 5thā€¦Pepp had a bevy of freshmen talent last season (Mallete, Mitchell, Lewis, Basham), theyā€™re only going to get better.

For the 1st time since the WCC went to the 16-game, unbalanced schedule we donā€™t have a ā€˜byeā€™ against one of GU/BYU/SMCā€¦a result of our best finish to date in WCC play under Sendekā€¦have a good league season and your WCC schedule the next season will be more difficult.

ā€˜Byeā€™ or single games are vs. Portland and LMU. Unfortunate we only play LMU once as I see them as trending down this season and finishing in the 8 to 10 range with Eli Scott graduating, Quintana transferring and who knows if the talented Dameane Douglas will ever be healthy (had his 3rd, major, season ending injury last season).

https://twitter.com/roccomiller8/status/1560022976535355393?s=21&t=N36sd3-zFRvfalmFu8Qm7w

Hey everyone! Sorry Iā€™ve been so MIA. I recently moved to North Carolina for grad school, but have been keeping up with my Broncos. But yes Maestro is right, Stewart and Williams were on crutches but both are obviously off them now. Both didnā€™t play in Europe but hopefully at least one of them will be ready when the season-opener comes around the corner.

Found the Nov 14 game: Utah State in Utah.

Utah State Menā€™s Basketball Announces 2022-23 Non-Conference Schedule - Utah State University Athletics

Kinda weird that itā€™s not joined up with that Salt Lake CC game but happy to get another decent mid-major match lined up.

Iā€™d call this a pretty good schedule. Light-years from where we were with Keating and early Sendek. One more high major opponent makes this an excellent schedule in my opinion. I doubt that materializes at this late date, but Iā€™ll hold out a little hope.