Game 10: Mount St. Mary's

Tip Off: Tuesday, 6 PM

TV: WCCNetwork

Line: Broncos -17 and 95% win probability on Torvik; Also a 95% win probability on ESPN, no line yet.

Mount St. Mary’s:
3-6 on the year, only two wins vs. D1 teams (narrow victories over Robert Morris and Howard). Losses in Villanova and Kentucky but also blowout loss to Navy and recent loss to Loyola (MD). They are currently ranked #298 on Torvik, one of the weaker teams on our non-con schedule along w/ Cal Poly and Florida A&M. Also appears that they play at a slower deliberate pace; the Broncos need to get out and run and play at our preferred tempo. Their best player appears to be 5-10 point guard Jalen Benjamin (just under 14 pts and 4 assists /game). They have some decent front court size with several 6-8 to 6-9 guys who appear to be OK rebounders but not big scorers.

This is an opportunity for the Broncos to get healthy and a chance for some of the supporting cast off the bench to get some PT and prove they are capable contributors. Holt returned to practice last week and suited up last game, so might see him for bit. Probably a long shot for Vrankic to return this game, I imagine it will be another week or two for him.

Based on some social media posts, it appears Bediako was dressed for practice so maybe his injury isn’t all that serious; that said, wouldn’t be surprised if they just hold him out of this game as a precaution.

Prediction: Broncos get back in the win column 80-65.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be a problem… even with Sendek’s 1 way to play predictability. SCU has too much for The Mount. SCU 74 MSM 48

LOL completely incapable of making a single post without a snide (and provably false) dig at something related to the program.

And nothing ever done about it.

So incredibly tiresome. I can’t be the only one that finds it so.

2 Likes

Spread is Broncos -16.5 on ESPN.

1 Like

Bediako not in the starting lineup.

Stream is crap again so don’t know more, but assumedly he’s still injured with the same thing that took him out of last game.

I can’t even get the game to start streaming.

Off to a slow start and trailing by 4. Maybe we are not as good as we thought we were. Disappointing for sure.

1 Like

Stream not working for me either.

Sweet video feed… Seriously do we not have a Communication Dept??? The only school on theW.tv with video/audio problems and crap camera work.

1 Like

Finally some video… we’ll see how long this lasts.

Got to see the last 6 minutes… The Mount is terrible. Herb’s style of Man D is allowing them to pick their best matchups and stay in the game. 46-43 at half.
SCU is far superior athletically so they will win this one even though Sendek is trying his best to let The Mount score 100.

1 Like

Playing down to our competition again . Holt should play more with two bigs out.

Holt and Tongue have both played, have gone 9 deep so far. Plenty of able bodies even with Vrankic out and Bediako presumably out.

Knapper is and has been suited up and available as well. Given the backcourt depth he isn’t really needed, they are presumably holding him out to preserve his redshirt year, no reason to burn a year of eligibility playing token or garbage time minutes.

Passarelli just mentioned Bediako aggravated a heel injury. Just glad it wasn’t a broken foot.

2 Likes

Carlos Stewart makes his share of “welcome to D1 basketball” mistakes, but his energy, effort, and athleticism is sorely needed.

4 Likes

Can we talk about Carlos Stewart’s dunk? Wow. He even went off the wrong foot. It seems like he can always get to his spot on the court, only a matter now of learning what he can and can’t do when gets to that spot. Hopefully by conference play he will give us 15 to 20 minutes per game where coach can tell him to go use his relentless energy. I would not mind seeing him pick up the opponent’s point guard full court…just to be a nuisance and wear them out/ throw off their rhythm.

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty obvious he should be logging 20 minutes or so a night. He’s going to make mistakes too, but that should be expected. Sendek’s always had an extremely limited rotation at SCU… not very good for developing a guy if you ask me.
Stewart and GWilliams were kind of forced into action last night with Bediako out, otherwise I’m not sure how much Sendek would play them. They both provided a spark.

Also I agree with you that Stewart could be a real nuisance to an opponent providing full court pressure. Unfortunately Sendek won’t play that way.

2 Likes

I agree on Stewart, he can really help us in many different ways if given the opportunity.
Let’s reward a player who plays his ass off, thinks team first, and wants to be a part of this and hopefully eliminate the mistakes of recruiting players the opposite: Besselink, Dujuricic, Wertz, etc

1 Like

Good eye Bob. I didn’t catch the wrong foot when I saw it live, but that takes degree of difficulty up several notches. Stew had a very good game and I like the steady progress. Gonna be fun to watch this guy!

1 Like