Game 2: Stanford

Tip-off: Friday 8pm

TV: CBS Sports Net…we won’t have to deal with the WCC stream!!!

Line: Nothing in ESPN yet, but ESPN’s matchup predictor has the Broncos w/ the win and 59% probability.

Stanford is 1-0, beat Tareleton St. by 12 Tuesday.

Broncos will need to show improvement in rebounding and defense. Vrankic won’t score 29 again so others will need to step up. Hope to see our starting backcourt knock down some 3’s (Pipes was 0/4 and Jalen 0/2 Tuesday). Also need to see greater combined production at the 5 spot w/ Braun and Bediako…don’t expect them to score a ton but they need to fill the stat sheet in other ways, rebounding, blocked shots, etc.

Prediction: Broncos eke out a close one at home, 74-72.

KenPom has us as two points dogs, 43% chance of victory,.

Hope we can be a little better on the glass than on Wednesday.

Maybe I’m just getting old, but when I think of Stanford I recall the great teams that Mike Montgomery coached… They are far from that these days. Stanturd hasn’t been to the tourney since 2014, and although it’s just one game, the sluggish performance against Tarleton is likely representive of this team.
No reason SCU can’t beat them at home. Broncos 69 Trees 65

Definitely a winnable game! Broncos by 2

I agree, BB. Stanford looked pretty vulnerable against Tarleton. I think the Cardinal were even down at the half.

The good thing is that the biggest problem against Fullerton was so obvious: rebounding. I realize that fixing any problem is easier said than done, but better to have a clear objective problem to remedy than be trying to tear apart a dozen variables that all contribute to a sputtering offense.

I think the Broncos get some momentum: 75-68 SCU. Pipes comes alive and gets 21 with 6 assists.

Stanford is trying to replace a lot of production. They have a couple of top 100 recruits, but only 1 looks to be starting starting (Harrison what’s his name, not Barnes bc I keep getting that in my head).

Basically Delaire is their only returner that was one of their top guys last year.

They’re playing a lot of guys that have only gotten spot duty up to this point in their careers. They do have some tall guys though and they were +11 in rebounding (vs. Tarleton, but still would rather that than be -10 like SCU was).

Hopefully a good Friday night crowd will be able to help the cause.

1 Like

I just saw on instagram that Jalen Williams has a wrist brace on. I hope it isn’t too serious but this makes me question if he will be available tomorrow night. If he isn’t, then we can expect more minutes from Stewart, Giordan, and Tomley.

Which wrist? Hopefully his left.

Looks to be his right wrist.

Looks like Jalen will be starting per the Bronco Hoops twitter page. That’s a good sign.

1 Like

Not a great looking crowd, hope it fills up

Quick 12-0 run after a sloppy first two minutes. I have a good feeling about tonight.

1 Like

Camaron Tongue’s three had me shocked! What a great run.

1 Like

I am loving this style of play! Confident!!

2 Likes

I think that was the most fun half of Bronco Hoops I’ve watched in 5 years.

Going to be tough to replicate that shooting performance, but lots of positives.

1 Like

Maybe the best half of basketball in the Sendek era since they couldn’t miss against Pepperdine in back in his first or second year. This is probably better given the competition, though.

1 Like

Actually fun to watch (which I haven’t said concerning SCU in the previous 5 years). Everything looks better when you drain 3’s, but offense with a purpose and the confidence to take the ball to the rim and finish or find the open man when help comes are components of good basketball. I’d love to see it again in the 2nd half.

2 Likes

Justice with the big time dunk!!

2 Likes

Wow. Great start to the second half. They keep playing like this and those empty seats in the Leavy Center will be no more

1 Like

looks decently full in any event.

1 Like