Game 14: vs. Duquesne

Tip-off: Saturday, 2pm, at the Orleans Arena
TV: FloSports
Line: Torvik- Duquesne -5, 68% win prob; ESPN- Duquesne 59% win prob, no line yet.

Duquesne:
The Dukes are 8-2 on the season, coming off a narrow 2pt win over Bradley. Best win is vs. UCIrvine; losses are to Princeton and Nebraska. Currently ranked #71 on Torvik, #68 on NET.
Top Players:

• 6-2 senior guard Dae Dae Grant (18pts, 31% from 3, gets to FT line a lot and shoots 94%).
  • 6-3 senior guard Jimmy Clark III (16.9pts, 4assists, 31% from 3)
  • 5-9 soph guard Kareem Rozier (8pts, 3 assists, 45% from 3)
  • 6-7 senior forward Andrei Savrasov (9.2pts, 4.8rebs, 40% from on modest attempts)
  • 6-7 senior forward Fousseyni Drame (8pts, 6rebs, 50% from 3 on few attempts).
  • 6-9 soph forward David Dixon (5.3pts. 4.5rebs, 2.3blocks in just 18mins a game).

Fousseyni’s brother Hassan comes off the bench; they were on St. Peter’s Elite Eight team two years ago.

The Dukes rely heavily on the 3 (#53 on Torvik for 3pt rate); shooting % is above average at 34.5% but not elite (ranked #120 or Torvik).
The Dukes play a fairly small lineup, Dixon at 6-9 is their tallest rotation guy and he only plays 18 mins/game, and guards/wings are small. You see the limited size play out in their stats: while the are above average to very good at most statistical categories, their defensive rebounding is one weakness, ranked #218 on Torvik giving up 31% offensive rebounds.

I hope we use our size advantage, hit the offensive glass hard and get plenty of putbacks. That has been a consistent aggravation for me throughout the season; despite trotting out very big lineups with a big front court and tall wings, we have not used that size to our advantage. Our rebounding has been just average (Defensive rebounding is #146 on Torvik). FG% defensive has just been OK and our length isn’t creating many deflections and turnovers on D.

I’m hoping to see some sort of progress from the Broncos. Reduced turnovers of course, but also more effective TEAM offense generating better and easier scoring opportunities rather than relying so heavily on 1on1 play and scoring from Marshall and Bal.

We’ll see if Tilly returns, even if he does, I expect his minutes may be limited to 20 or less so we need our other bigs to step up.

Prediction: Broncos bounce back, 75-71.

3 Likes

TEN BILLION THUMBS UP ON THIS POINT

6 Likes

Line on ESPN is Dukes -2.5. More or less a toss-up.

And reminder on yet another early start, 2pm.

Empty arena, tilly not suited up[quote=“92bronc, post:1, topic:745, full:true”]
Tip-off: Saturday, 2pm, at the Orleans Arena
TV: FloSports
Line: Torvik- Duquesne -5, 68% win prob; ESPN- Duquesne 59% win prob, no line yet.

Duquesne:
The Dukes are 8-2 on the season, coming off a narrow 2pt win over Bradley. Best win is vs. UCIrvine; losses are to Princeton and Nebraska. Currently ranked #71 on Torvik, #68 on NET.
Top Players:

• 6-2 senior guard Dae Dae Grant (18pts, 31% from 3, gets to FT line a lot and shoots 94%).
  • 6-3 senior guard Jimmy Clark III (16.9pts, 4assists, 31% from 3)
  • 5-9 soph guard Kareem Rozier (8pts, 3 assists, 45% from 3)
  • 6-7 senior forward Andrei Savrasov (9.2pts, 4.8rebs, 40% from on modest attempts)
  • 6-7 senior forward Fousseyni Drame (8pts, 6rebs, 50% from 3 on few attempts).
  • 6-9 soph forward David Dixon (5.3pts. 4.5rebs, 2.3blocks in just 18mins a game).

Fousseyni’s brother Hassan comes off the bench; they were on St. Peter’s Elite Eight team two years ago.

The Dukes rely heavily on the 3 (#53 on Torvik for 3pt rate); shooting % is above average at 34.5% but not elite (ranked #120 or Torvik).
The Dukes play a fairly small lineup, Dixon at 6-9 is their tallest rotation guy and he only plays 18 mins/game, and guards/wings are small. You see the limited size play out in their stats: while the are above average to very good at most statistical categories, their defensive rebounding is one weakness, ranked #218 on Torvik giving up 31% offensive rebounds.

I hope we use our size advantage, hit the offensive glass hard and get plenty of putbacks. That has been a consistent aggravation for me throughout the season; despite trotting out very big lineups with a big front court and tall wings, we have not used that size to our advantage. Our rebounding has been just average (Defensive rebounding is #146 on Torvik). FG% defensive has just been OK and our length isn’t creating many deflections and turnovers on D.

I’m hoping to see some sort of progress from the Broncos. Reduced turnovers of course, but also more effective TEAM offense generating better and easier scoring opportunities rather than relying so heavily on 1on1 play and scoring from Marshall and Bal.

We’ll see if Tilly returns, even if he does, I expect his minutes may be limited to 20 or less so we need our other bigs to step up.

Prediction: Broncos bounce back, 75-71.
[/quote]

If any of you guys didn’t spring for Flo, I’m here with KSCU (sickos game of the year for SCU and I’m such a sicko)
Tune in at 2: kscusports | Santa Clara vs Duquesne

I just paid $30 to watch and it says event is completed?

Listening to KSCU. Nice start to the game. Sounds like Knapper is balling.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue here.

Just going to ask for a refund and call it a game. I hear Cams name - so he might have even started today?

1 Like

Yes, looks like Cam started, from my read of the live box score.

Edited: looks like I was wrong, based on what TD24 and 92Bronco say. He must have come in fairly quickly, because he had 6 min of playing time logged at the 12 min timeout.

1 Like

6th man off the bench, also the Flo stream may be having issues based on what im seeing in the arena

No, Caffaro started, Cam entered fairly early, 2-3 mins in.

1 Like

NOTHING HERE. I requested my money back.

1 Like

looks like the Flo guys got up and left? (I’m honestly not sure what I’m seeing in here at Orleans), might be equipment failure

might be business model failure

In case folks are unaware, you can launch the game stat tracker for each game from the game schedule on the Bronco’s website. Provides lots of live data, is actually about 30secs ahead of the video or audio feeds. Has detailed play-by-play log and all relevant stats. Better than ESPN or other live boxes or other stat casts IMO.

Link for today’s game:
DUQ 28, SCU 27 - 05:37 (PRD 1) (statbroadcast.com)

Yeah, just going to ask for a refund. Sounded like Cam is getting us some boards. Thought he travelled but I see not TO for him, and THIS IS WHY I hate the play by play calling. Its just not a way to “watch” a game.

Femme, I tried too but had same issue.

1st half…TO’s (6 vs. Dukes 7) have been better, along with rebounding. And shooting it OK.
But D has been poor, have given up 9 made 3’s to a team you know (or should know) relies heavily on the 3.
And Dae Dae Grant has killed us with 20pts…unfortunately we don’t have anyone who I’d consider a lock down defender to put on Grant.

1 Like

Scu a soft team on defense . Guards are killing us today - trying to drive too much against a physical team and falling down often Offense is good generally