Monitoring the Portal

I see Riley Battin from Utah hit the portal. Santa Clara recruited him pretty heavily out of high school. Never really developed at Utah but would not shock me if he ends up in the WCC somewhere.

If I remember correctly, Battin played HS ball with Zeke Richards.

6-9 forward, part-time starter throughout his 4 years at Utah, ~20 minutes /game, career #'s of: 6.3pts / 4rebounds / 33% 3pt shooter but not a rim protector at all. Nothing that knocks your socks off, but would be a decent get for most WCC teams to plug a hole.

Names I have seen mentioned with Santa Clara expressing interest… Ethan Wright from Princeton. 6’4" Grad Transfer. Looks like an ideal fit. 15 pts, 7 boards, 40% shooter from 3. 2nd team All Ivy. Maybe Henry Caruso can give us an assist? Ethan Wright Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Sam Griesel, North Dakota State. Would also be a great get. 6’6" with Similar numbers to Wright. 14.3 pts ppg, 37% from 3, 6+ rebounds. Would be a 5th year guy. Sam Griesel Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

1 Like

Kendall Munson - Pepperdine 6-7 forward in the portal. 3 years remaining eligibility I believe. Pretty strong/athletic power forward from what I saw, was in the playing rotation but modest #'s.

I have a transfer for Herb:
Fardaws Aimaq from Utah Valley
18 pts, 13 reb, 49% FG pct; 6’11, 245

He is a BEAST! I follow Grand Canyon so i have seen him play. He is the kind of inside player we need. Our inside players are so soft.

Academics may be an issue

4 Likes

UMBC transfer Keondre Kennedy has heard from Arizona State, Missouri State, Loyola Chicago, Georgia State, Western Kentucky, Santa Clara, Colorado State, ETSU, UTEP, among others, per source.

Kennedy, a 6’6” wing averaged 14 points last while shooting over 40 percent from deep.

— Sean Paul (@SeanPaulCBB) March 18, 2022
1 Like

One time Bronco verbal commit from 4 years ago, Arizona State’s Jalen Graham has entered the portal. If I recall correctly, our staff was on him early and then he blew up at some events and Arizona State offered. Second Team All Pac 12 https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4432855/jalen-graham

Not a transfer, but class of 2022 recruiting…a recruit of ours, Romad Dean, 6-7 forward/wing, committed to Fordham.

A few transfers that SCU is looking at or in communication with according to various Twitter sources:
NDSU’s Sam Griesel
UMBC’s Keondre Kennedy
Princeton’s Jaelin Llewellyn

Fardaws Aimaq is currently considered the top prospect on the transfer market generating interest from everyone.

3 Likes

Joey Calcaterra from USD in the portal, also Victor Ohia Obioha from Pepperdine. With a couple of transfers within the conference last year, can’t rule anybody out.

Quick stat pull for the twitter connections:
2P/3P/FT%

Griesel 6-6 Wing: 51/39/76 averaging 15 points a game.
Kennedy 6-6 Wing: 54/42/77 averaging 15 points a game
Llewellyn 6-2 Wing/G: 49/38/70 averaging 16 points a game

Id like to watch some game tape but these guys seem to slot into the current run and gun system we’re running

2 Likes

Seems like we’re recruiting as if Keyshawn is going pro. I think any of these guys would be an asset in any year and worth recruiting. But if this is representative of how they are prioritizing, it seems to suggest some predicted personnel changes given that the players we know will need to be replaced are a 6’2"ish PG and a 6’10" stretch-4.

Even if Aimaq is very unlikely to be recruited to SCU, I think the goal of finding a through-and-through tough guy for the front court would be a good decision. As a big fan of Vrankic all four years, I don’t mind having an offense focused on more “finesse” forward play. But we haven’t really had an actual bruiser down low since probably Bryant. Having that option would help a lot against the SMCs and Fresno States that can force us to play at their meatgrinder pace and style.

2 Likes

Griesel is already off the board to Nebraska but some other names…

Cincinnati’s guard transfer Mike Saunders Jr. has heard from BYU, Miami, UNLV, Utah, Wichita State, Santa Clara, Iona, GCU, Nevada, Cal, Wyoming, Duquesne, Tulsa, Winthrop, among several others, sources told @Stockrisers.

Entered his name in the portal yesterday afternoon.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) March 22, 2022

D'Maurian Williams (@Dmaurian) tells me that he's heard from Washington State, Oregon State, Ole Miss, Utah State, Loyola Chicago, Western Kentucky, Santa Clara, and Pepperdine since entering the transfer portal.

Williams averaged 14.5 points for Gardner Webb this season.

— jake lieberman (@jakelieberman2) March 23, 2022
2 Likes

USC lost 4 guys to the portal today…a couple seem to be obvious targets for us.

I’d take USC’s Max Agbonkbolo, 6-9 wing/forward, in a heartbeat. 8pts/4rebs in ~20mins/game.
But I expect he’ll have P6 and high level mid-major (ie- SDSU, Colorado St.) type suitors.

1 Like

Air Force transfer Joseph Octave (@josephoctave) tells me that he's heard from Pepperdine, Holy Cross, Rice, CSUB, CBU, Portland State, Towson, Lipscomb, UNH, UCR, Santa Clara, RMU, Bryant, Austin Peay, Tarleton State, and Sac State since entering the transfer portal.

— jake lieberman (@jakelieberman2) March 25, 2022

Honestly, would you let anyone know you were contacted by Riverside, Bakersfield, Tarleton, Sacto, Towson etc???

2 Likes

Agree bettererer…you say: ‘I’ve heard from over a dozen schools including Rice, Santa Clara and Pepp’.

That said he looks decent, 6-3 guard, started for Air Force, 8pts/3rebs in 20mins/game, 37% from 3. Minimal assists so appears to be a 2-shooting guard. HS highlights looked like a solid athlete and 3pt shooter…probably compares to Giordan. Out of HS had interest or offers from Montana, UNLV, GCU and Irvine.

How does a transfer from a military academy really work? I thought enrollment required a contractual commitment to serve.

buckets- was wondering the same thing. Looks like this is Octave’s 2nd year at AF. I suspect there’s some sort of threshold (ie- over 2 years, maybe 3 years of school) where the military commitment or some other form of obligation kicks in.
I’m sure there’s no shortage of cadets who drop out (transfer) after a year or two and I doubt they have any lingering military or financial (reimbursement for their free education) obligations…but I could be wrong.