Monitoring the Portal

Yeah, after two years you can walk away without any consequences. You have to sign some documents before junior year and then you are locked in.

Wayne McKinney , the freshman PG from USD , is transferring.

McKinney…not a surprise with Scholl gone.
McKinney can play, good athlete, started as a true frosh, All-WCC Frosh…someone will be lucky to have him.

Temple transfer Jeremiah Williams has heard from Illinois, Loyola-Chi, DePaul, Iowa St, Vandy, UGA & Santa Clara among others since entering the portal, he tells me.

6-5 SO put up 9.5 PTS & 4.3 AST per game

Lone AAC player with an AST rate> 30%, BLK rate > 2% & STL rate > 2% pic.twitter.com/PaYl6LX8IK

— Max Feldman (@MaxFeldman6) March 27, 2022

thats a lot of high majors for Jeremiah + going home to DePaul might make this a tough get

Valpo transfer Sheldon Edwards (@sheldonnn13) tells us he has heard from Loyola Chicago, BYU, Santa Clara, FAU, FIU, USF, Georgia State, Weber State, Duquesne, Jacksonville State, Pacific, LMU, GCU, Portland State, SIU, App State, Indiana State and others in the portal.

— Hoop Scoop Media™️ (@HoopScoopMedia) March 27, 2022

Miguel Tomley will be going to D 1 Idaho State - good luck (via Josip’s Instagram )

Agree Hayward, best of luck to Miguel. The kid can shoot it and wouldn’t be surprised to see him put up some solid #'s there.
Idaho St. has struggled, at or near the bottom of the league in recent years, and have had a lot of transfers in/out, so hopefully there’s a void there and open door for Miguel to earn some good playing time.

3 Likes

I always saw Miguel as our Steve Kerr, but injuries really kept him from ever getting a really good shot at showing his talents. I will really miss seeing him nail those threes for us next year. Best wishes to Miguel!!

3 Likes

Portland’s 6-3 frosh PG, Yaru Harvey has entered the portal. Played limited minutes off the bench this season.
From Sacramento. We pursued/offered him in HS, imagine we backed off after Stewart and/or Knapper committed.

SMC’s Judah Brown entered the portal. From CA, 6-6 wing, should have 3 years eligibility remaining, had interest/offers from a couple of other WCC schools, Nevada, UTEP, amongst others out of HS.
Got spot/limited minutes the last 2 seasons, seemed fairly athletic from the little I saw him.

Bennett hasn’t had many transfers of late, has done a good job of retaining his core guys. Brown was behind Alex Ducas and Jabe Mullins so probably wasn’t seeing a path to increased PT.

Oregon transfer Eric Williams Jr. has heard from Arizona St, Santa Clara, Missouri, Iowa St, Texas A&M and St. Louis since entering the portal. @ericwilliams708

— Justin Byerly (@JustinByerly) March 31, 2022

A transfer to keep an eye on…
Jarod Lucas from Oregon State, 6-3 shooting guard, entered the portal a few days ago.

Our Broncos pursued/offered him in high school. Bay Area kid, attended Los Altos HS.

Good scorer and shooter but just a so-so athlete from what I’ve seen. 13.5pts/game, 39% 3pt shooter, good FT shooter.

3 Likes

We have been active, which is a good sign. Going to need to pull some studs to replace Pipes/Williams/Vrankic.

Valparaiso transfer Sheldon Edwards is down to Loyola, Grand Canyon and Santa Clara. #MVCHoops https://t.co/DbnDerL7Oi

— Paul Oren (@NWIOren) April 4, 2022

And fyi, the Loyola is Loyola Chicago.

Excerpt from his Valpo player page:

Before Valpo: Averaged 21.2 points and 7.6 rebounds as a senior at Palm Beach Lakes High School in 2018-19… Spent a postgraduate year at TLAP Sports Academy in Port St. Lucie, Fla. during the 2019-20 season, averaging 32 points per game and five rebounds per contest while turning in two games of 40+ points… 2018-19 first-team all-state honoree and All-State Game MVP in the state of Florida… Watched about 75 percent of Valpo’s games on TV or via internet while in prep school during the 2019-20 season… TLAP Sports Academy coach Louis Graham says stopping for him is a “tough task” and said “You want to watch him; he’s a guy who sells tickets.” Graham, also Edwards’ uncle, put a basketball in his crib as a young child. “He loves the game.”

Personal: Majoring in sports management… Hobbies include listening to music… Favorite artists are Drake and J. Cole… Son of Sheldon Edwards Sr. and Leticia Graham… Has six siblings – sisters Kham, Kiarra, Aaniyah, Jayden and brothers Joshua (14) and Elijah (10)… Favorite NBA player is Steph Curry, but he models his game after the likes of Devin Booker, Jayson Tatum and Bradley Beal. When he’s not playing basketball, the he spends much of his free time watching it.

Edited: Appears Buckets and I were posting at the same time…

For those interested…more details on Edwards:

• 6-4 shooting guard, 2nd year player. With the free COVID 2020/21 year appears he’d have 3 years of eligibility remaining.
  • Part time starter during his 2 seasons, only started 10 games this season but played ~26mins/game so he appears he was 1st guard off the bench with consistent PT.
    -stats this past season: 11.4pts, 4.2rebs, 1.1 steals, 2.1 3ptrs made/game, 36% from 3, 41% overall, 78% FT’s. effective FG% of 53% which is decent for a guard. roughly 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. Looks decent across the board…no red flags from a stats perspective IMO.

This appears to be a hedge against Jalen departing. Or could also be some other expected departure or maybe related to Giordan’s injury.
We haven’t discussed much here but Giordan’s knee injury vs. WSU didn’t look good. Don’t want to start rumors as I have no information but hopefully it wasn’t an ACL…if so it may be hard for him to return by the start of next season as it’d only be ~ 6 months between surgery and the start of full team practices in Sept.

So he is a year older than a typical transfer with his remaining eligibility

1 Like

Footage of Sheldon Edwards from 3 years ago. Very long arms. Can’t expect anyone to be near the same caliber as Jalen but I like what I see on Sheldon’s tape. I am sure they have shown him video of Jalen’s development over 3 years.

I imagine it won’t take too long to know if Jalen is staying or going. If he checks out athletically then he is a 1st rounder. He has the length and skill, just a matter of whether he is confirmed to be an NBA athlete in some of the agility/explosion testing they do.

Oregon transfer Eric Williams tells me that he's receiving interest from the following programs:

Pitt
South Carolina
Grand Canyon
Arkansas
Saint Louis
Texas A&M
New Mexico State
Santa Clara
St. John's
BYU
Wichita State

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) April 4, 2022