Monitoring the Portal

Probably has less than zero impact on us, but I read that St Peter’s three marquee players have entered the portal. The Peacock’s, sadly, might be the Webster definition of “flash in the pan.” Coach gone. Players gone. Program probably right back to the depths of the unknowns.

My memory is fading, but I can’t think of another team in the history of the NCAA tourney like that. I can think of teams that have had a bit of a run over a couple of years and then disappeared (LMU, SCU, FGC, fill in the blank), but none that made a one-year deep run like that and fell off the face of the planet.

Remains to be seen, but Oregon State may prove to be that.

Loyola of Chicago seems to be keeping the flame alive after that final four run… they’ve been back to the dance twice and now it’s a different coach.

That said they have a whole heap more basketball tradition than Saint Peter’s or FGCU, or Norfolk State or UMBC or whoever else. George Mason comes to mind too.

1 Like

Ramblers are also changing confrerence to Atlantic 10 in 22/23. So that will help them stay relevant

And a revamped arena IIRC

Former Newton North superstar and Boston Herald Dream Teamer Ethan Wright - who is in the transfer portal - has received strong interest from Santa Clara, Richmond, Colorado, Penn State and Rutgers

Others have contacted the guard but those 5 have expressed the strongest interest

— Matt Feld (@mattyfeld612) April 6, 2022

Looks like we are still involved with the Second Team All Ivy player from Princeton.

Ethan Wright…good to see, was hoping they would go hard after him. Watched him play a few games in the Ivy league tourney and was impressed…pretty athletic, plays ‘big’ as evidenced by his very good rebounding #'s (led their team). Plus good 3pt shooting - just under 40% and over 2 made/game. Challenge may be getting him to leave the East Coast and pass on Big10 opportunities at Penn State and Rutgers.

I like Wright and Sheldon Edwards from Valparaiso noted above as targets. Need to fill Jalen’s shoes with an immediate impact transfer who’s at least on par with Pipes.

1 Like

Edwards is visiting Santa Clara next weekend.

Outstanding, hope we land him or Wright.
Glad Herb is heeding my wishes :).

how many open spots do we have? assuming JW returns to SCU (yes I know wishful thinking).

Edited to ask: is there still a difference between scholarships spots and walk-ons? I seem to remember, decades ago, that teams were limited in the number of scholarships they could offer, but that the actual roster could be greater than number of scholarships. But my memory may be failing me. More and more senior moments every month…

You get 13 Scholarships and I believe we are at 10 if Jalen returns. Should have 3 spots open for incoming transfers/new high school recruits, and 4 if Jalen does not return.

Justice
J.Williams
G.Williams
Braun
Bediako
Stewart
Tongue
Holt
Knapper
Ensminger

Buckets-
No limit on walk-ons.
I believe there may be a rule re: 15max that can enter/play in a game.

And link to Verbal Commits which shows status of everyone…sometimes not entirely accurate but appears that it is currently correct for the Broncos.
Broncos VC page: Verbal Commits

New Mexico State transfer Jabari Rice has heard from

Arkansas
Clemson
Texas
Georgia
Tulsa
Georgia Southern
Santa Clara
North Texas
Texas Southern
Missouri State

Averaged 12 ppg last season.

— Justin Byerly (@JustinByerly) April 9, 2022

Rice is 6-4 guard, would be his 6th year. Experienced player, starter or major rotation guy more or less is whole time at NMSU.

Rice, Edwards, Wright, Williams…all shooting guard / wings. Beating a dead horse…but you’d think the staff fully expects Jalen to leave if they are focusing so hard on guys who clearly fill the 2-guard role. Otherwise, what’s our pitch/message to them…’we may or may not have a starting role for you’ ??? These transfers are all experienced players, all except Edwards in their final year of eligibility…they expect to start.

Would have been a good get because he is such an elite shooter, but I also think a majority of players that transfer are not looking to stay in the same conference (exception being a guy like Massalski who was coached by USF’s Gerlufsen when they were both at USD).

14.7 pts per game, 6’2", Senior, Guard … was at Kansas State prior to Coastal Carolina.

Coastal Carolina transfer Rudi Williams tells Portal Updates he has heard from the following schools since entering yesterday:

Georgia
Georgetown
Oregon state
Cal
San Francisco
Memphis
Florida
BYU
UCF
Wichita state
South Carolina
Butler
Oklahoma st
Iona
Santa Clara

— PortalUpdates (@portal_updates) April 12, 2022

Probaly never should have left Kansas state

Several names mentioned in this thread that the Broncos expressed interest in now off the board:

-Ethan Wright (from Princeton to Colorado) …bummed about this one.
-Jaelin llewelyn (from Princeton to Clemson)
-Mike Saunders Jr. (from Cincy to Utah)
-D’maurian Williams (Gardner Webb to Texas Tech)
-Jeremiah Williams (Temple to Iowa St.)

Valpo’s Sheldon Edwards, Jabari Rice from NMSU and Keondra Kennedy from UMBC, Eric Williams from Oregon still available. All are shooting guard/wings.

More dominoes to fall…I suspect there will be another wave of players going in the portal as final decisions are made from guys who entered their name in the draft but retained option to returned to college as well as players in the portal early land at their next destination.

The Valpo transfer, Sheldon Edwards, committed to Loyola Chicago.

Saw Efe Abogidi from Washington State entered the portal. That is a bummer for the Cougs. He can probably go anywhere.

I saw that Lohner and George are leaving BYU, which has had a fair number of kids enter the transfer portal since Pope has been at the helm.

Is it Pope? Basketball culture at BYU?

We see a fair amount of turnover at Portland and San Diego, but BYU has been surprising.