NIT Conference Tournament Watch

Weird that the 2019 USD team that, even if you’re a diehard Torero fan, was nowhere near this SCU squad, nonetheless made the NIT. Yet here we are kinda sweating it out.

Actually, 2019 was kind of a weird year all around because both BYU and USF were arguably better than that USD team, but both got passed over for the NIT bid. The USD team finished well and with momentum, though, which is something this team has as well for what it’s worth.

1 Like

1 Like

absolute shenanigans from the NCAA per usual, but i will take the tiny bit of broncos good fortune

Bad for SCU. Another spot taken in the NIT

I am sure all of you are checking these two NIT projections with regularity, and there may be others I am not aware of.

DRatings has SCU solidly in as a #5 seed and posts their data to justify a team’s seeding.

This other, Barking Crow, has the Broncos out completely. They were #6 seed prior to Monday’s loss to SMC. He doesn’t support his selections with any data.

Go figure

Yup. The reality is it’s a great time suck, but whatever. :wink:

Better than working…

1 Like

TCU just knocked off #22 Texas in the Big 12 Tourney. Gotta be worth something.

Never imagined that win would look so good when it happened.

I believe all teams transitioning up to D1 go through some sort of probationary period (2 to 4 years???) and aren’t eligible for the NCAA tourney, stands to reason they wouldn’t be eligible for the NIT either. Not sure if that’s true for other team sports beyond football & basketball.

That said, I’m not sure what the motivation is for barring probationary teams from the postseason. Pretty difficult for them to rise to that level so if they’re good enough and earn it, whey not let them in?

Sunday afternoon/evening can’t come soon enough.
Not sure exactly when the NIT invites are announced, guessing 4 or 5pm…an hour or two after the NCAA tourney selections.

92 bronc…Believe NIT show is 6pm PST on ESPNU and transition period is 4 years to become eligible for tournament. I think Bellarmine is in year 2.

1 Like

Hoping for an NIT nod… there are a number of other programs that started their way back to relevance after 20 + years of muddling. Villanova latest run to the 14 straight NCAA’s began under Wright with 3 NIT’s in 2003, 2004, and 2005…

Pete- thanks, didn’t realize there was an NIT show…thought they just announced it, but I guess it does makes sense for ESPN to promote it and give it as much visibility as possible in the hope that people tune in to the games.

Related note…first things first, but if we get an invite I certainly hope we win at least a game, preferably a couple.
With an NCAA bid you’d prob just be happy to make it. But NIT would feel anticlimactic to get an invite and bow out in the 1st game especially since the 1st round games will be next Tues or Wed…just 2-3 days of good vibes and publicity then you’d be done and everyone (alumni, students, recruits, etc.) would quickly forget about it and turn attention to NCAA’s.

1 Like

SHOCKER IN ATLANTIC CITY: Rider --- who entered today's game at 13-18 --- upsets top seeded Iona.

Rick Pitino and the Gaels are headed to the NIT.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) March 10, 2022

Re: Conference tournament action today…These six teams are #1 seeds that were pulling for, and would be headed to NIT with a loss.

North Texas
Toledo
Norfolk St.
Montana St.
Long Beach St.
New Mexico St.

1 Like

North Texas lost to LA Tech so there goes another NIT spot.

Maybe, maybe not. 24 win North Texas is in Conf USA and is ranked #39 in NET. 26 win UAB won the other C-USA semifinal and has a #50 NET rank. UAB and N. Texas were both destined to make either the NCAA or NIT, so just need to root for UAB to beat LA Tech in the final.

1 Like

Toledo just lost in their semifinal. That one does hurt and take up another NIT spot.

Yes, the day hasn’t started well, and Norfolk St is up 56-51 with under 8 min to play.