NIT Game 1: Sam Houston St

Very rarely am i right when it comes to X’s and O’s—i leave it to betterer and others to bring hoops expertise to the board. But this one I called.

4 Likes

I remember RRFP as it was a great game and Nick Vanos was tremendous that evening.

2 Likes

For those that could not catch the game, someone posted Tilly highlights from last night.

4 Likes

When Cam got a second foul and was seated at 11 minutes I could not believe it. We know what happened in the next few minutes. Why worry about 2 fouls with 11 minutes remaining in the biggest game of the year. Every minute he was not out there cost us a lot more than the insurance that he play until the end of the game. For the first time in many years, I found myself yelling at a game, and I was yelling to put him back in. I love to see him play. Too many open shots missed and any of the last few could have kept us in or won. Yikes.
But what a terrific year and the best young men we could every imagine gracing our courts.

3 Likes

Terrible way to end the season with such a talented group…

Any word on Carlos’ knee injury? Hope it’s not serious.

2 Likes

Agree on the 1 Ref – in the limited time I spent watching, 3 or 4 really bad calls in a row. Figured we were doomed from that aspect. On one play, Stewart clearly slapped ball off of opponent’s leg, should have been our ball. SH ended up not getting a shot off on that sequence, but on the next play (our possession), another lousy call by same ref (on Justice I think) for an offensive foul that was just basic play. Refs calls need to be reviewed by their governing body.

6 Likes

Bob - I thought the same thing about Tilly…coming into this game.

3 Likes

Ditto.

8 Likes

Another odd call by the female ref was the “closely guarded” call on Podz at the end of the first half. The ref is required to arm count the five seconds (like they have to do on inbounds), but I don’t remember her doing that.

Watched the last six minutes. SCU needs to get better at defense and rebounding. I saw 4 instances of no rebounding in the last few minutes. On the last play, only Podz going for the rebound. Went to JB for a layup twice in the last few minutes. Also, why didn’t Sendek call a time out with 9 seconds left??

I actually was totally fine with the last look. Thought it was pretty clean. I almost think calling timeout makes it more difficult on the offense.

3 Likes

Agree w/ Hoops5. Tilly made a nice move, just missed the shot.
A lot of coaches will just let it play out, and trust their players to make a play. Downside of calling a time out is you give the defense a chance to get set, maybe make a defensive substitution, and scheme to keep the ball out of the hands of say Podz.

4 Likes

North Texas up 66 to 33 over Sam Houston with 11 minutes to go. North Texas is 16-26 from 3.

I just saw that myself. It makes our loss more frustrating though perhaps we would have been humbled by the Mean Green. I’ll have to hold out hope for next year, which seems to be always the case. Go Broncos!

Torn meniscus. Same injury as last time. He will miss spring and summer same as last year.

1 Like

Femme, who are you talking about?

It was reply to the Carlos Stewart question.

'femme- same knee as last year?

Yes. Same knee as last season.

Hmmm…not good, worry about chronic issues, frequent soreness or swelling at that has to be managed and slows him down.

Not to mention it impacts live/contact work he can do Spring/Summer.