Thanks Dons!

Broncos tied for third in WCC!!! BYU has a three game losing streak and Zags coming to Provo on Sat

2 Likes

You love to see it!
Another meltdown on cougarboard. They know expect couple of more losses and NIT.

1 Like

finishing in 3rd/4th place would be a huge boost for our prospects in Vegas. It would mean that our Broncos wouldn’t have to play until Saturday, then Sunday would be a day off (thanks, BYU!), then semi-final games on Monday and final on Tuesday (if we get that far). The team with fresher legs could be the difference between a win and a loss in some of those games.

Can we finish in 4th with a 10-6 record? Not really sure. I haven’t done the deep dive into each team’s remaining schedule, but my gut suggests that 11-5 is what we’ll need to be safe, which means “stealing” a victory against SMC or USF, plus running the table against the rest (except Gonzaga, of course).

2 Likes

For me, seeing the BYU fans melt down is topped only by any wins we log over SMC or USF.
There was a ton of arrogance from BYU fans when they joined the WCC, assumptions that the would knock off GU and regularly challenge them for league titles and dominate everyone else.
The reality…12 seasons in and they have yet to win a league title or even WCC tourney title…not…one…single…time. Plus they routinely lose a game or two each season to someone other than GU/SMC…teams they’d supposedly dominate with ease.
During BYU’s WCC tenure they haven’t even been the 2nd best team in the WCC…SMC has won or shared the league title at least twice during BYU’s time in the WCC plus two tourney titles. And through the 19/20 season, SMC had 13 more wins in league play. BYU had a better 20/21 season than SMC but that is skewed by the heavily unbalanced schedule from COVID cancellations (SMC had by far the toughest schedule in the league) and this season looks like SMC will finish several games ahead of BYU.
Won’t miss them when they’re gone…
And they will be lucky to be a middle of the pack program in the basketball strong Big 12…Baylor, Kansas and maybe Tex Tech will eat their lunch regularly.

5 Likes

12 years… woah. It doesn’t feel like that long to me!

I agree. It’s rather satisfying to see BYU struggle. I won’t miss them for one second when they depart. Likely rough sailing in the big 12 for their sports teams.

Buckets-
I understand your point but I wouldn’t classify any wins @ home over SMC or USF as ‘steals’. We were in it to the end at USF and I think we’re as or more talented than SMC…Bennett is just doing another masterful job of getting the most out of the talent he has.
Regarding us finishing 4th with a 10-6 record…will be toe to toe with BYU, key is that we have the tie-breaker advantage with our win over them and we don’t play them again. Looking at BYU’s remaining schedule they have road games with GU and SMC where they will be underdogs; their other 5 remaining games are against lower 1/3 teams where they will be heavily favored. They are currently 5-4 in league…losses vs. GU and SMC will put them at 10-6. So we need to take care of business and actually get to 10-6 then count on SMC beating BYU in Moraga. If we get to 11-5 then we’re more or less a lock for 4th or better as BYU would have to win out to get to 12-4 to finish in front of us.

5 Likes

that’s why I put it in quotes…because public perception would be that it was a “steal”, but we know this team has the talent to do it. :wink:

1 Like