WCC Game 11: USF

Well that sucked

the offense is just getting bogged down

yikes across the board

Lots of offensive miscues and hesitancy. USF was able to take away the outside looks and deal with open Broncos in the key effectively, Lack of interior offense really hurt.

Ugly. Not sure we put together good possessions back to back all night.

Sadly, a missed opportunity to build enthusiasm on campus. Yes, still a decent week with the SMC win, but more fans at this game and they’ll remember this one and not the SMC game.

1 Like

Poor shot selection + poor rebounding = loss. If your open one foot from the basket : SHOOT

1 Like

I always hated these mid-afternoon tilts. I think our historic record for 3pm Pacific Time starts is something like 2-85.

3 Likes

So true… I especially hated those afternoon games in Toso (back when it was the bubble roof). Crazy sunlight used to fire in through the glass entry/exit doors next to the soccer field during those games. Blinding. Always lead to poor results.

Missed opportunity. I love this team - bought tickets and drove three hours to support the boys. Credit to USF… pains me to say. Onward!

4 Likes

We had a bad game at a time where we could least afford it. USF obviously adjusted from the last time we played to shut us down and we had no answer. Not a good crowd, but our best of the year and as noted earlier, the students got excited for once only to be brought back down to earth. I do like the team, but I thought we might actually have a chance of getting to the NIT. POrtland is playing well and that game is no gimme. We need to win all the games left except Gonzaga to have any shot at post season. Seems like every year we stumble after a critical time. I hope we can reset the ship and get to 20 wins before the WCC tourney and then pull off an upset there as well. GO Broncos!

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Really deflating. A close loss would’ve given me more hope…this game was not a bang, but rather a whimper.

1 Like

I am a little late to the thread, but i totally agree. I am sure the stats won’t prove it out but in my head the Broncos have totally underperformed in the mid afternoon tilts.

1 Like

Ditto. The school, under Herbs signature, can send out all the emails they want “imploring” fans to come to the game (as embarrassing as that is), but at the end of the day, these are wins they have to have. If you build it, they will come.

And they didn’t. build it. They poured gas all over it, lit a torch and burned it.

Sorry to be blunt, but this game was their big chance to build some street cred and they blew it. Love these players, but it was a dumpster fire. So much for building momentum.

i will keep supporting them but, damn, that was disappointing.

2 Likes

absolute offensive dumpster fire yesterday
3-14 from three (worst all year)
38.8 Effective FG (worst all year)
.83 points per possession (you guessed it, worst all year)

I wonder if there are any game results databases that are searchable by game time? Someone needs to deliver the message to the AD and coaching staff: no more mid-afternoon games!

The SID should be able to pull that info, right?

After yesterday’s game, the NET rankings show us dropping from 67 to 72, while USF jumped from 36 to 30. Looking more and more like Zags, Gaels, and Dons will be dancing…BYU probably NIT…and we will be fortunate to get to the NIT.

if we can work our way back to the 60s i feel like the NIT would be a solid reward.

At the very least, it was crushing because there were expectations and we’re good enough that we’re actually a positive on team sheets rather than a drag! The barest of silver linings but something I’m pondering.

2 Likes

Let’s just hope that in the middle of this painful and frustrating moment we don’t hear anything from Portland, especially after they hit 70% of their 3’s (14 of 20) in their 10 point win over LMU last night. Seriously though, my wife asked me yesterday afternoon who I was rooting for and I said SCU. In spite of the insult, I hope you guys turn it around and finish this season with wins.

3 Likes

I agree with R&W Bricks in that the NIT would be a great reward. I think if we’re to run the table, albeit Gonzaga, and capture a win in the conference tournament, then that goal is achievable.

As for yesterday, I am echoing many of the previous posts…careless with the ball, offensive hesitancy, poor rebounding. Credit the Dons, but there were stretches when they did not look like a tournament bound team, especially protecting the basketball. Bottom line…a good and decisive win on the road in a game where the Broncos didn’t pose a threat. USF’s quickness bothered the Broncos, where as St. Mary’s style of play may be a better matchup.

All that said, I see no reason why SCU can’t beat USF in Las Vegas if they were to meet again, although that scenario may not play out. As previously stated, you turn the page and get ready for LMU. Appreciate the feedback as it relates to the Portland cancellation and concur with many of the comments.

Saw this Tweet from BYU’s Greg Wrubell on February 4th and am still very confused how conference tournament seeding will work. Not sure if KenPom will only be used in tiebreaker situations (could in theory still get Top 3) or it will be used for all seedings since the conference schedule is obviously unequal in terms of total # of games (Best we could probably do would be 5th).