WCC Game 11: USF

Actually, the Ken Pom WCC algorithm is different than just his ratings so who knows what we would finish. Point being, fans are flying blind. WCC should have some type of real time projected seedings on their site.

Was at game court side and Golden made a definite adjustment from our first game by slowing tempo way down and getting very physical with us. He was constantly telling his defenders to get up and take away all 3’s It worked as they physically man handled us.
He made his adjustments, we have to make ours if we meet in Vegas.

4 Likes

Great insight. Certainly appeared that was their gameplan.

Correct on the USF adjustment. And they could do that as they have very quick guards (Shabazz and Bouyea) who play tight on the perimeter and still cut off drives and even if we do drive on them they have a great shot blocker in Massalski protected the rim along w/ Tape.

'Bob- thanks for twitter repost.
This is surprising to me, doesn’t seem like a single game differential is enough to pivot to KenPom over straight records. Especially considering even a full schedule is inherently unbalanced given the built in byes (not playing everyone twice).
But if this is the case, this may work against us as I suspect USF may have the more difficult schedule (playing GU, SMC and BYU twice) whereas we have one less game vs. BYU.
We’ll see…going to be an interesting next 2 weeks.

No mention of game in SF chron - not even the score !!

I had hoped for 1-1 at the beginning of last week, so I’m not gonna move the goalposts. Last week was a success, but it’s still a bummer to see an uninspiring game against a rival.

Very important we pick up a win Thursday at lmu before playing at Gonzaga on Saturday.

Agree, but two things:

1. Big picture and in terms of building program support, we would have been better off beating USF (and SMC) and losing to LMU on the road. The collective impact to NET may have been a drop of a couple spots but the trade-off is fans and students would have been excited about the USF win, left with positive impression of the program’s future plus notching a win over a rival, meanwhile few aside from those on this board would notice a road loss to LMU.
  2. Yes, a week ago, most would have been satisfied with a 1-1 week, however, sometimes unexpected and tremendous opportunities present themselves…when they do, you need to seize that opportunity. We didn’t do that…not at all…and looked/played terrible when needed to shine.
2 Likes

Spot on again ‘92.

Worst part of the loss for me was seeing how Golden had adjusted from the last meeting to overplay the perimeter, force SCU to beat them on the bounce or in the post (where USF is rather capable), and Herb didn’t change a thing.
Honestly, it’s like he doesn’t understand his own teams strengths or weaknesses, let alone those of an opponent.

1 Like

Oh gosh, you indirectly admonished Sendek. I fully expect ‘noob to lose his marbles, create another alias, and defend St. Herb, who is beyond reproach!

Hayward,

Not sure about the print edition as I don’t live in NorCal, but there is this online^

Not if I can help it.

3 Likes

Hard game to watch, everyone was off. Frying pans for hands all game. Couldn’t dribble. It was like a hangover that just didn’t burn off.

USF was in “game shape” - the slight change in our game cadence probably threw us off. Would have been interesting to see us post up their shorter guards until they showed they could stop us (thinking Williams could have just parked it on the block all game and the guys just fed him).

We should have pressed the whole game too once it was clear we needed a booster shot.

1 Like

Bronco12, what I saw at that game was Vrankic miss several good 3 point attempts early in the game allowing their big guy to hang back some. That allowed the other USF defenders to close out harder at the 3 point line. It worked. But Vrankic can hit those 3 pointers and if he does, the game changes, and we can handle USF.