Week 1 Highlights:
- BYU opened 2-0, serving notice that they will again be a contender for at least 3rd or 4th.
- LMU opened with a good win over another mid-pack contender on Thurs. vs. Portland but then gave it back with the bad loss to Pacific.
- Portland, a popular ‘on the rise’ pick that some media predicted could challenge for 3rd/4th, dug themselves a whole with an 0-2 start.
- Likewise, USF dug themselves a huge whole, also with an 0-2 start, soon to be 0-3 with a game vs. GU Thursday.
- USD, after being blown out by SMC Thursday, upset USF on Saturday. Even more impressive considering they were without their two Pac-12 transfers, Jaden Delaire (Stanford) and Eric Williams (Oregon); and Williams had been a key player for them at 15pts and 10.4 rebounds per game.
Week 2 Look Ahead:
Thurs. games: SCU @ Pepp, Pacific @ USD; Gonzaga @ USF; BYU @ LMU.
Sat. games: BYU @ USD; Portland @ SMC; Gonzaga and SCU; Pacific @ Pepp; USF @ LMU.
- Broncos game at Pepp is critical; a loss would negate the positive of the USF win and put the Broncos at risk of dropping to 1-3 after Saturday’s GU game.
- USF will likely be 0-3 when they face LMU Saturday. A loss to LMU and an 0-4 start would make a 3rd or 4th place finish nearly impossible.
- Portland has a bye Thurs. and will likely fall to 0-3 after their Sat. game vs. SMC, then plays USF and GU in week 3…could be an 0-5 start for them.
Standings after Week 1: