Women's Hoop

I feel like Women’s Hoop deserves it’s own thread. The Broncos are 59th in the NET, with a game upcoming @ Arizona State (139).

That’s a pretty impressive turnaround for a program that has really struggled for the last 15 years. I don’t know much about the current team, but Tess Heal seems to be the real deal. It took Coach Carr a little bit of time to get the team going in the right direction but it appears he has done it.

Go Broncos!

11 Likes

The women’s team seems to be working hard to do targeted international recruiting: four players from Melbourne, Australia and two more from Greece.

Tess Heal is an incredible scorer with a 44% shooting average from 3. The team overall is doing a great job rebounding and hitting their free throws. SCU’s 81% free throw conversion rate is top 10 in the country. Their rebounding margin and AST/TO ratio are top 50.

Their attendance is averaging 220 per game, so a worthy challenge to this board is for folks to do their best to take in a women’s game this season since, at the moment, they are rising to heights the men haven’t quite reached!

12 Likes

Women win @ ASU today. ASU is not great, but a P12 win on the road is nothing to complain about.

6 Likes

just moved to 13-3 with an opening conference win over Pacific. Hope they can keep this up during conference because it was a similar last year and they couldn’t hold up due to injuries. Could get in the dance with a break or two!

6 Likes

got their 20th win of the season tonight at USF! 20-7 on the season for Bill Carr’s squad

8 Likes

Big win for the 'Cos. Now tied with Portland for second place. We’ve split with them and are 75ish in NET.

6 Likes

Women are 21-7 and doing great. Last two years have been a big improvement. I would hope they do well in the conference tournament and if not an NCAA bid a women’s NIT bid. The women are following the SMC model with the Australian connection. Good for them. Hope the crowds can improve but believe they will worth success. Big win today against Portland as mentioned that ties us with them for second place. GO BRONCOS!!

3 Likes

Broncos ladies just won a nail biter to Pacific, 85-77. Was close most of the way, separated a bit the few last mins. Tess Neal with 40pts (14/16 from the FT line).

Broncos finish in 2nd place, 12-4 in conference, 24-7 overall. They get the triple bye to Semifinals in the WCC tourney.

5 Likes

Lady Broncos are #72 in NCAA NET ranking

1 Like

I’m very pleased to see the Lady Broncos with the triple-bye – finishing 12-4 and securing the #2 seeding is no small feat. But I just don’t see Gonzaga losing this tournament. The Zags beat our ladies by roughly 40 points in each game. I, of course, will be rooting for our side, I’m just being realistic. The bummer is that we won’t likely make it into the Big Dance given our NET ranking.

It will be especially annoying if both Gonzaga’s men’s and women’s squads win the tournaments. They’ve won both tournaments in the same season NINE times: 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022. :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

With that NET, they have to be a lock for the WNIT at least. But yeah, the women’s side has long been much more stratified than even the men’s side, and it’s really hard to break through. The extra attention on Clark and Reese and South Carolina is really cool. Now the wealth just needs to be spread out more than it has been. JR Payne, our previous coach, has had quite a season at Colorado and was solidly in the top-10 for awhile. I don’t know that an ex-Broncos coach has ever had that kind of success in any sport. Sad that we couldn’t get her to stay and build, but like I said, the attention and resource stratification is even bigger on the women’s side and that much harder for mid-majors to break through.

I have one small request: that we retire the term Lady Broncos. I know it’s said with total admiration and respect and that I’m on the younger side of posters here. But the Broncos are the Broncos irrespective of gender and the qualifier for the women always feels a bit diminishing of them to me.

7 Likes

Fair enough, Patty. It was never intended as anything diminishing.

2 Likes

Not a worry at all, @buckets I know that it was meant with full appreciation and excitement over what the women’s team is doing! :grin:

1 Like

I will be tuned in on Monday Afternoon. Go Broncos!!!

2 Likes

Solid first half, with the Broncos effectively countering the Pilot press. Good ball movement against tge zone is leading to some easy baskets deep in the paint. 30-18 at tge half.

1 Like

20 minutes from first championship game appearance since… 2007? I have no idea.

Maybe HS should study our women’s team

The jinx of the board strikes again. Broncos lose after being up 14 in the 2nd half.

A season to certainly be proud of as that team continues to make strides.

Hopefully they get a WNIT invite.

1 Like

Tough loss considering the lead that they built. Portland shot a high percentage in 2nd half and their press was effective too.

Credit the Pilots in coming back and advancing.

Despite the loss, I think the Broncos have a pretty good shot at a NIT bid.

Great season and hope it continues for them.

1 Like